PDA

View Full Version : Turned Black Palm

Robert Simmons
03-06-2003, 3:41 PM
I picked up a piece of black palm at the WW show in Atlanta last week and had a shot at turning a couple of very small bowls. They're only about 2.75 inches wide. It's interesting stuff, I'd like to try some bigger pieces if I could find them. It's pretty dusty to turn and the black bits can create some nasty splinters, but it's right interesting to look at when (if) you get it done.

Robert

Jim Izat
03-06-2003, 3:53 PM
Wow! I've never seen Black Palm turned before, it looks great. What type of finish did you use?

Jim Izat

Robert Simmons
03-06-2003, 5:20 PM
So far it's only got a single coat of Watco Natural on it. I'll probably add another couple of light coats and then buff it out on the Beale bufer. That's my basic finishing protocol for most of my turned stuff.
Thanks,
Robert

Ken Frantz
03-06-2003, 6:04 PM
I better watch out looking a these beautiful turning that some of the guys turn out!!!!! It may become catching like the flu and that is one tool I do not own. May be I could trade one or two of my other tools for a lathe----nah-----have to buy one if the bug gets me. The way my luck runs, I would sell'trade the wrong ones.

IF IT WEREN'T FER BAD LUCK, I WOULDN'T HAVE ANY LUCK AT ALL!!!!!!!

Bill Grumbine
03-06-2003, 8:24 PM
Robert, pretty wood, nice bowls! Way back in '97 I went to Florida. I was all excited about finding palm trees and other exotics to bring home. Never found any, just an old boatyard selling teak and rosewood.

Bill

robertfsmith
03-06-2003, 8:40 PM
Beautiful bowls Robert! I really like the looks of black palm when turned, it is pretty dark and plain for flat work though. The end grain poka dots really look great. Good job.

Bob Lasley
03-06-2003, 11:24 PM
Robert,

Those really turned out nice. The beauty hiding in a block of wood never ceases to amaze me.

Bob

Robert Simmons
03-07-2003, 8:39 AM
I hunted all over for palm wood last year when I was in Florida, everybody thought I was nuts. Not to say that they were wrong, mind you. I did finally get a chunk from a chainsaw carver in Appalachicola and it was like turning rope. This black palm is very different, though the lighter wood is quite soft and doesn't do well at all for the tenon end o f a bowl. Learned that the hard way. I think I'll have to look around a bit more to see if I cna find a supplier of bigger pieces.
Thanks much,
Robert

Dave Tinley
03-07-2003, 9:10 AM
They look great. I have turned some black and some red palm for pens. Interesting stuff to work with.

Dave

75 degrees in central texas

Gary Hern
03-07-2003, 9:34 AM
beautiful wood and nicely done bowls. Thanks for posting

Brad Risley
03-07-2003, 10:06 AM
I live in FL and the best source of Palm wood is the local dump. We have yard waste pick up by the county for conversion into free mulch. The tree trimming companies also dump at the same location. So all kinds of logs end up there. None of the wood would be good for lumber but the site is a treasure trove of turning material. It is a shame I don't turn. Well maybe some day. Brad in Fl

Bob Reilly
03-07-2003, 10:19 AM
And for anyone that wants some black palm,don't look for it in Florida,since it only grows in Venezeula and Panama,and it's pricey to say the least,last i heard was $35.00 a board foot.

Doyle Alley
03-07-2003, 10:31 AM
Hey Bob. If you are able to make it to the meeting next week, you'll meet Frank. He is a great turner and probably 99% of the stuff he turns is free wood from local tree trimmers, the dump, etc.

He sells his work at the Saturday morning open air market in Sarasota.

Bob Reilly
03-07-2003, 1:29 PM
Hi Doyle, boy your a fountain of information, where is the open air market in Sarasota located, i'd like to take a peek sometime?