PDA

View Full Version : Shop Layout

Travis Gauger
02-19-2008, 4:50 PM
Hello All,
I am going to solicit some ideas from all of you on shop layout. Here is my plan. Budgeted for a 24'X24' shop with 10' sidewalls. Will be breaking ground as soon as the ground thaws enough to break. :) So take a look at my layout and let me know what you think. I'm really looking for the "why it won't work" than the "Why it will work" style of comments. Thanks.

Rob Russell
02-19-2008, 5:01 PM
Will any of the machines will be on castors so you can move them out into the middle of the shop?

For example, trying to joint a long board could be difficult given where the jointer is located.

Ben Cadotte
02-19-2008, 5:14 PM
Where's the bathroom? :D

JayStPeter
02-19-2008, 5:28 PM
I would make it so the TS, Jointer, Planer, and Bandsaw can be used without having to be moved.

Travis Gauger
02-19-2008, 6:04 PM
Sorry all. I should have been a little more specific. The jointer has a built in mobil base, Planer Too. Tablesaw is on a mobile base also.

Chris Padilla
02-19-2008, 6:39 PM
Travis,

Do you have a scale drawing of a 4x8 sheet of plywood on there? I like the flow from the garage door to the TS (i.e. pulling sheets of ply off your truck and onto the TS or into the storage rack).

gary Zimmel
02-19-2008, 7:27 PM
For me, I would like to see a little more space dedicated to wood storage.

If you are going to use the space above the uppers it may be a little bit of a pain getting wood up and down.

Is there going to be wall space used for clamp storage? It seem as time goes on we get more and more clamps.

Congrads on the new shop, can't wait to see pics of the ground breaking.

Jim Becker
02-19-2008, 8:59 PM
At one time, I used my workbench as an outfeed table for my TS. That didn't last long as it made the bench unusuable any time I wanted to use the saw. I suggest you consider this as you play with arrangements that work for you. BTW, it's also my recommendation you consider either a roll-up door for the large door or a double, hinged door rather than an overhead garage door setup. The latter will greatly interfere with lighting and other overhead needs when it's open...such as in nice weather, especially at night relative to lighting. The comments on lumber storage so far are also spot on.

glenn bradley
02-19-2008, 9:30 PM
Mostly agree with your setup. I find that long items being cut on the TS can be supported easily by roller stands. Not so wider pieces. I would prefer a wider outfeed as to a longer one (and have one). Using the bench as an outfeed looks like a great idea until your half done with a glue up and need to use the saw.

I would make a wide outfeed separate from my bench. Perhaps one of the many fold down designs seen here as this would not take up space when not in use. Just my .02.

Michael Lutz
02-19-2008, 9:37 PM
I would move the TS so the infeed is facing the overhead door. I recently moved my bench behind the TS and I like it, but mine is parallel to the TS with a 30" gap between them which allows me to cut ~4' long boards with out moving stuff on the bench. I have a smaller space than you so this works for me. Others have put the mortiser and miter saw together to share infeed/outfeed space.

Where is the router table?

Since you have the space I would leave the jointer and planer setup all the time. I would place them parallel to the TS in the center of the space.

Mike

Robert Torkomian
02-19-2008, 9:57 PM
Travis,

I have the same size shop 24x24 and have found wood storage to be the only pain. Make sure you put in a ladder to get into ceiling for more storage. I put my wood turning bowls during most of the year up there. Also I store alot of my wood that I do not need right away up there. When you put the lights in remember to leave enough room for your dust collection piping. I have my dc stuffed into a corner and my compressor in another.

Good Luck
Rob

Greg Stanford
02-20-2008, 8:16 AM
When I had a shop that had a garage door, I placed the tablesaw so that the outfeed was out the door & used a fold up outfeed table. I had my bench, which is the same height as my table saw, about 6' behind the tablesaw so that when I was cutting a 4x8' sheet of ply I could set one end on the bench & get everything lined up. Made things a little simpler in a one man shop. If you did that in your shop, it would give you an area for assembly. I don't know what you'll be building but larger items can take up quite a bit of space.

g

Travis Gauger
02-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Wow, Everyone's comments have my head spinning. I love it. Thanks so much for all the input. My current shop is a 2 car garage also with wood storage all around the ceiling. I curently have about 1000BF af various wood waiting to be used and could probably double that if my brackets would take the load. I plan to do Ceiling storage for about 2500 - 3000 BF and additional wood storage at floor level. The Workbench behind my saw is what I am really questioning. I currently have a foldable roller (HTC) outfeed table on the saw and depend on it all the time. The saw in the new shop would still be mobile and still have the foldable outfeed on it so there is nothing saying I can't roll it out and use it if my bench was full. Thanks so much for all the great advice.

Mark Singer
02-20-2008, 10:12 AM
You need more room around the bandsaw. I rip long pieces often. The jointer can be set next to the tablesaw and that gets it off the wall. I would straigten the angle on the tablesaw.

Chris Padilla
02-20-2008, 10:21 AM
I plan to do Ceiling storage for about 2500 - 3000 BF and additional wood storage at floor level.

Be careful about loading up those trusses!! They were never meant for things like this although people use them this way all the time. I think they can take some storage but I dunno about storing that kind of weight above my head on something not specifically designed for such things.

If in doubt, check into it. You may need to add support (posts or sistering extra 2x to the existing ones, etc.).

Travis Gauger
02-20-2008, 5:03 PM
Yes I agree with the load rating of trusses. My plan for wood storage will be at ceiling level, but not touch the trusses at all. It will be mounted off the wall. The workshop is going to have 10' tall 2X4 by 16 on center framed walls. Every other wall stud will have a 30" 4X4 sister next to it at the top of the wall with a series of holes in it that I can stick black pipe as shelving. Does anyone have any pictures of their layouts for similar sized shops? I'd love to see them. My new shop isn't going to be that much bigger than current setup, I just won't have anything but my shop in there. Can't wait. Again, Thanks to all for your input.