PDA

View Full Version : could this be good wood?

keith ouellette
02-19-2008, 4:22 PM
It doesn't look like the cedar tree I am used to but several people have told me this is cedar including the guy who cut it down but none of them seem sure.
I do know the cluster of things that look like berries will turn into needles next month. I was wondering if I should take this back home and let it dry for 6 months till I get my band saw?

Jim Becker
02-19-2008, 4:55 PM
There are many varieties of cedar...

keith ouellette
02-19-2008, 5:00 PM
There are many varieties of cedar...

And you are getting ready to tell me which one this is or that it isn't one. I know you know Jim so clue me in.

Greg Funk
02-19-2008, 6:29 PM
It looks like cedar but your pics are pretty small. Any chance you have larger versions?

Greg

keith ouellette
02-19-2008, 7:42 PM
It looks like cedar but your pics are pretty small. Any chance you have larger versions?

Greg

I tried but it kept telling me I was using to many kb's so I had to make them smaller.

Marcus Isaacson
02-19-2008, 8:21 PM
My guess would still be cypress. It is in the same family, Cupressaceae, as cedar so they are somewhat closely related. It is also one of the few in that family that are deciduous. The normal butt swell that you often see on cypress normally only occurs when it grows in very wet environments.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't dry the logs out and saw them up for something.

Greg Funk
02-19-2008, 8:36 PM
I tried but it kept telling me I was using to many kb's so I had to make them smaller.
Depending on what program you are using to downsize it it sometimes better to reduce the compression quality while keeping the image size up.

Greg

Gene Michael
02-19-2008, 10:56 PM
i grew up in florida where there's a lot of cypress. the pic looks like cypress to me.

keith ouellette
02-19-2008, 11:26 PM
I wanted it to be cedar for a trunk I wanted to make in the future. say it is cypress. Would cypress be good for a pedestal patio table with a tile top edged in wood. Outdoors.

Gary Herrmann
02-20-2008, 3:28 AM
Hard to tell with the pic size, but it could be bald cypress maybe...