PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make quality hardwood veneered plywood anymore?

Joe Jensen
02-19-2008, 1:22 PM
I'm making 13 book cases (gratis) for my church. I bought 3/4" plain sliced red oak plywood from a local wholesale lumber yard. Fantastic figure, but the plywood is crap. Huge voids inside, sand through spots front and back, and if you as much as touch a crosscut edge, the veneer falls off the core 1/4"-1/2" back from the edge. It's as if the glue holding down the veneer has failed. I've tried 4 large yards in Phoenix, and nobody seems to have quality hardwood veneered plywood. Tons of MDF core stuff that is flat, but it's too heavy for projects that will be moved around much after finished, and I hate working MDF. Plus, the veneer on everything I've used lately is as thin as paper.

My brother bought some premium Quarter Sawn White Oak ply somewhere online and it was amazing, quality core, and much thicker veneer (like we used to get 20 years ago).

Is it possible to buy nice Red Oak (or other species) ply any more? My suppliers say if I order at least 20 sheets they can get it for me, but alas I'm a hobbiest and have never bought more than 10 sheets, and that's once in a blue moon.

Pat Germain
02-19-2008, 1:26 PM
Sounds like your local lumber yards are giving most people what they want: cheap plywood. The stuff you describe sounds like what's coming over from China. I'm not suggesting everything from China is junk, but I've yet to hear a glowing review of Chinese sheet goods.

I know two wood suppliers near me which carry high quality plywood, but it doesn't come cheap. Perhaps you could find a dealer for marine grade plywood in your area. That's very good stuff.

Joe Jensen
02-19-2008, 1:28 PM
Pat, is there something I should ask for? I was told this was not import plywood when I ordered it. My intitial inspection was obviously too quick, but it looked pretty good and the figure was fantastic.

Do you know the brand?

Pat Germain
02-19-2008, 1:32 PM
I'm not aware of a specific brand. I do know you have to seek out high quality wood these days. You can't go to a typical lumber yard where they primarily serve framers and carpenters.

I'm sure Phoenix has some dealers who sell high quality hardwood and sheet goods. We have a few Phoenix folks here on SMC. They should be able to provide some suggestions.

Do you have a local Woodcraft or Rockler store? They typically don't carry sheet goods, but they should know where to get quality examples. Drop by and ask them. And buy something while you're in there. :)

Rod Sheridan
02-19-2008, 1:35 PM
Hi Joe, sorry to hear about your plywood issues.

I would suggest that you check for stamping on the plywood edges indicating the manufacturer and grade when purchasing plywood.

The Hardwood Plywood and Veneer Association should be able to supply you with grading information.

Regards, Rod.

Joe Jensen
02-19-2008, 1:40 PM
I'm not aware of a specific brand. I do know you have to seek out high quality wood these days. You can't go to a typical lumber yard where they primarily serve framers and carpenters.

I'm sure Phoenix has some dealers who sell high quality hardwood and sheet goods. We have a few Phoenix folks here on SMC. They should be able to provide some suggestions.

Do you have a local Woodcraft or Rockler store? They typically don't carry sheet goods, but they should know where to get quality examples. Drop by and ask them. And buy something while you're in there. :)

I'm only buying from suppliers to the cabinet making trade. This was from Lumber Products. I've had great success with them on hardwood. I've also used American Hardwoods, and Spellman. These are not construction suppliers. They typically have 20+ species, most in MDF core, many in veneer core, and a few lumber core. Also, they have rotary, rift, and plain sliced for the popular species. I frequest the local Woodcraft, but the seem pretty clueless on materials. I do buy hardwood from their supplier, Chandler Hardwoods, small operation, but they can have some fantastic material.

Brian Kerley
02-19-2008, 2:08 PM
The Chandler Hardwoods guys (now Power's Wood Source) had some nice looking cherry ply in when i was there a couple of weeks ago.

Ben Cadotte
02-19-2008, 2:32 PM
I am in the opposite situation. My local orange borg stock 18mm poplar ply for $39 a sheet. This is great stuff for not having voids and being flat. Its good 11 ply material. The faces are close to birch. I am just using it for shop projects and shop cabinets. But it is 5x better than the crappy softwood plywoods offered at the borgs, and local yards. And its nearly the same price. My wife even saw it and said that would be good for cabinets.

Joe Jensen
02-19-2008, 2:42 PM
I am in the opposite situation. My local orange borg stock 18mm poplar ply for $39 a sheet. This is great stuff for not having voids and being flat. Its good 11 ply material. The faces are close to birch. I am just using it for shop projects and shop cabinets. But it is 5x better than the crappy softwood plywoods offered at the borgs, and local yards. And its nearly the same price. My wife even saw it and said that would be good for cabinets.

I built my latest bench for the shop, and some rolling workbenches for the church out of that stuff. Very nice, but not always flat. DIdn't matter the way I used it. They also have some really nice 18mm fir ply that is 11 ply for $25 a sheet.

Scott Velie
02-19-2008, 2:44 PM
These folks have the best selection and range of grades I know of:

http://westwindhardwood.com/wood_cab.html

There in Canada and you have to pay shipping.

Stephen Edwards
02-19-2008, 3:03 PM
Check out these folks in Lexington, TN.

http://www.panoplycorp.com/index.asp?CID=122529624.601299

I haven't bought from them yet but have talked with them on the phone and intend to purchase from them in the near future. The guy that I spoke with was very honest with me. They have a good reputation and I've also seen their products on Amazon.

Hope this helps.....

Joe Chritz
02-19-2008, 3:15 PM
I picked up 12 or so sheets for my current project of maple ply at a local Menards.

HPVA graded B2 but it only had 5 plys, although very consistent, all fir and very flat with thick veneers. I had one sheet de-laminate but that was a defective one because I couldn't get any others to do it and I tried before assembling any boxes. It was $50 a sheet. I can get A1 graded birch from a local shop for about $55 but they won't stock the high grade oak.

Maybe drop into a custom cabinet shop and explain what your doing and see if they will part with some of their supply. If they use plywood still they usually buy in bunks and get good stuff.

I gave up on getting even decent plywood for less than $50 or $60 bucks a sheet.

Joe

Kevin Godshall
02-19-2008, 3:44 PM
I picked up 12 or so sheets for my current project of maple ply at a local Menards.

HPVA graded B2 but it only had 5 plys, although very consistent, all fir and very flat with thick veneers. I had one sheet de-laminate but that was a defective one because I couldn't get any others to do it and I tried before assembling any boxes. It was $50 a sheet. I can get A1 graded birch from a local shop for about $55 but they won't stock the high grade oak.

Maybe drop into a custom cabinet shop and explain what your doing and see if they will part with some of their supply. If they use plywood still they usually buy in bunks and get good stuff.

I gave up on getting even decent plywood for less than $50 or $60 bucks a sheet.

Joe

I gotta agree with Joe. I went to the local warehouse lumberyard (the blue one) and had to argue with the "lumberyard expert" about what quality I needed for a bookcase I was building. There was more putty on the back than there was veneer. His solution was to put it on the inside and noone would know.......... I sorted thru no less than 30 sheets to find one that I could cut around all the bad spots.

After checking around, the local mill down the road stocks different varieties for about 2x the price........but the quality is amazing, especially compared to what I thought I would have to settle for.

I am careful to explain to my customers the impact these sheet goods will have on their final cost, but when I show them a piece I kept from the one piece I had to buy, and there is never an argument.