PDA

View Full Version : Clean cuts in plywood

Lori Kleinberg
02-19-2008, 12:13 PM
I am planning on making some graduation scrapbooks (picture albums) out of 1/4 BB ply on the scroll saw.
First I need to cut a strip off the tops of each cover. How will I get the cleanest cut?

Lee Schierer
02-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Use a zero clearance insert. Run masking tape over the cut line and use a fine tooth blade.

frank shic
02-19-2008, 12:32 PM
you could also make a scoring cut by having the blade protrude approximately 1/16" although you'll have to remove the blade guard and then make the full cut with the blade guard back in place. you could also use a festool/ez circular saw guide or buy an exaktor scoring attachment...

Greg Hines, MD
02-19-2008, 12:59 PM
For such a thin piece, another choice would be to sandwich your plywood between two layers of some other scrap, such as MDF, and use a circular saw to cut them, as the MDF will back up your cut and give you a chip-free edge.

Doc

Prashun Patel
02-19-2008, 1:02 PM
For such a thin piece, another choice would be to sandwich your plywood between two layers of some other scrap, such as MDF, and use a circular saw to cut them, as the MDF will back up your cut and give you a chip-free edge.
Doc

Y'll get even better results with a zero clearance plate on yr circ saw. That can made with a hardboard scrap bolted to the base, then plunged thru.

Lori Kleinberg
02-19-2008, 1:43 PM
Thanks for the tips. I definitely want to do it with the table saw. I just spent an unbelieveable amount of time getting the
fence aligned :mad:. Also I suck at using a circular saw for anything other then breaking down sheet goods, even with a
straight edge attached :eek:.
I usually do the scoring cut 1st when cutting thicker plywood, wasn't sure about this thin stuff.