PDA

View Full Version : Right Angle Drills

Ed Gibbons
02-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Lately I have had a need for one. Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Ed

Lee Schierer
02-19-2008, 12:09 PM
I have a Dewalt cordless that has worked well. It came as part of the set that I purchased used and has plenty of power.

I also have used some corded models, that were less than safe. They had a wrap around trigger grip that was easy to activate accidently while handling the drill.

frank shic
02-19-2008, 12:13 PM
i have a ridgid which comes in handy when space is tight.

Rob Russell
02-19-2008, 12:44 PM
It depends on what you're trying to do.

If you're trying to drill holes inside cabinets for shelf pins and the like, the previous posts are good. The Festool right angle drill (RAD) has a good reputation. Souix and Milwaukee make little "almost" right angle drills.

If you're using the RAD to shoot holes for wiring or plumbing, you want a whole different beast. I have an old Black and Decker single speed RAD. It's a high-torque beast that's designed to push self-feeding hole saws through 2x* framing lumber. Put in the self-feed bit, whack it up against the joist or stud so the self-feeding tip digs in, pull the trigger and hold on.

Those are 2 rather different uses for a RAD. The little drills, with a paddle bit, can drill holes for plumbing or wiring - but sometimes you run into clearance issues. The big RADs for wiring/plumbing don't have the RPM speed to use a normal twist drill for little holes inside cabinets and are rather cumbersome to use that way.

Randal Stevenson
02-19-2008, 4:12 PM
It depends on what you're trying to do.

If you're trying to drill holes inside cabinets for shelf pins and the like, the previous posts are good. The Festool right angle drill (RAD) has a good reputation. Souix and Milwaukee make little "almost" right angle drills.

If you're using the RAD to shoot holes for wiring or plumbing, you want a whole different beast. I have an old Black and Decker single speed RAD. It's a high-torque beast that's designed to push self-feeding hole saws through 2x* framing lumber. Put in the self-feed bit, whack it up against the joist or stud so the self-feeding tip digs in, pull the trigger and hold on.

Those are 2 rather different uses for a RAD. The little drills, with a paddle bit, can drill holes for plumbing or wiring - but sometimes you run into clearance issues. The big RADs for wiring/plumbing don't have the RPM speed to use a normal twist drill for little holes inside cabinets and are rather cumbersome to use that way.

I want to second this with some additions.

The STANDARD that I see plumbers and electricians now use for auger bits and 4" hole saws for pipes, is the Milwaukee Hole Hawg or Super Hawg. I have had MULTIPLE people tell me this WILL break your wrist if not careful.

As for right angle, at the garage (former part time mechanic), if we were using more air then the compressor was pushing (busy day), then we pulled out the owners OLD Black and Decker right angle drill. The closest unit to it today is the Makita DA3010F. More compact then the semi right angle drills listed above (Milwaukee and Souix).

Eric Haycraft
02-19-2008, 4:54 PM
I want to second this with some additions.

The STANDARD that I see plumbers and electricians now use for auger bits and 4" hole saws for pipes, is the Milwaukee Hole Hawg or Super Hawg. I have had MULTIPLE people tell me this WILL break your wrist if not careful.

As for right angle, at the garage (former part time mechanic), if we were using more air then the compressor was pushing (busy day), then we pulled out the owners OLD Black and Decker right angle drill. The closest unit to it today is the Makita DA3010F. More compact then the semi right angle drills listed above (Milwaukee and Souix).

I have the milwaukee one step down from the hole hawg. Great drill and I have never had it try to rip my hand off. Spendy, but will easily outlast me. Get the milwaukee bits for it and you will be amazed at how easily it drills.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200320999_200320999?cm_ven=Aggregates&cm_cat=Froogle&cm_pla=Froogle&cm_ite=Froogle&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=153407

Steven Wilson
02-20-2008, 10:12 AM
I sold by Dewalt 14.4v drills (right angle and regular) and replaced them with one Festool TDD with an assortment of chucks (reg, RAngle, Offset). A fantastic setup for installation work on a boat, car, truck and general use. If I was using a hole saw on studs all day I would get the Milwaukee.

jason lambert
02-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Depends what you are doing. I hace a dewalt 14.4 V it is pretty useless for drilling anything ove 1/2" So I bought a Milwaukee compact corded drill the thing is great! Lots of power and small. However if you are going to be drilling 2" holes you will need something bigger.

I really like the festool drill with the different chucks for a one stop solution. Although I don't have one yet.