PDA

View Full Version : Need help fast, bandsaw offer

Jason Scott
02-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Hey guys,

As some of you have been helping me with my bandsaw search, and i found a while back a lightly used jet deluxe closed stand model, the one you see in the pic below.

Anyway the guy wanted almost as much as new so I walked away. The saw has a 6" riser kit, cool blocks and a link belt on it. It looks new in person, but if you remember it didn't have a blade, which some of you were skeptical about. He emailed me today and said he has reconsidered, I imagine b/c no one would buy it for that when they could get a new one. Anyway the deal is 475.00, and I said if he threw in a good quality blade also that I would do it. Of course I want to put the blade on and run it before I buy it. Anyway is this a good deal now? I figure it is new a 600 saw (although you can get them with a 50 rebate now) + riser kit + cool blocks + link belt. I feel that is about 150 dollars in accessories which makes the saw new 700-750, so I am offering 475.00 with a new quality blade. Let me know as I would like to do the deal if you all think it is a good deal, thanks,

Jason

Sean Troy
02-19-2008, 11:23 AM
As long as the motor works and sounds good and the Wheels are in plane, thats a good saw. I've put mine through hell the last five years with no problems at all. Check to see if it's wired for 115v or 220V for your own info.

Jason Scott
02-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Wired for 115, so that is a fair price then right

Jason Beam
02-19-2008, 12:15 PM
boy .. 475's about right at the top of what I'd consider fail. It's certainly not a great deal - but it's on the high side of fair. You probably won't regret it if you paid that for it. It's interesting that he came back to you. What was his asking price?

Mike Goetzke
02-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Check out Woodcraft. I don't know if you have one close but if you add the saw to your cart it's $549 and then there is a $50 rebate available. I have no experience with this saw but it's nice to have a warranty.

Good Luck,

Mike

Robert Conner
02-19-2008, 12:55 PM
If the Saw looks like it was taken care of I think that is an OK deal. Listen to the motor and spin the wheels by hand.
Prices are kind of strange one day no one wants to pay a price, the next day there are ten people fighting for it. I am sure many of us have missed deals by hesitating just a bit too much.
As was said you will not be sorry for the price or the saw.
Robert

Tim Allaire
02-19-2008, 1:39 PM
I have the same saw (without the riser) and have worked it hard for the past month. Last week I went to turn it on and nothing (a wiring problem) I had to pack it back up and back to woodcraft it went (luckily ive only had it for a month and a half) and today I had a new machine. I paid 522.86 (with rebate), if you ask me the warrantee was worth buying new.

Peter Quadarella
02-19-2008, 1:41 PM
Usually when I am on the fence about the price of something that is used, I don't buy it. Unless you are able to fix the item yourself, there is a risk to buying used that makes it not worth it to me unless the deal is very good.

jason lambert
02-19-2008, 2:07 PM
Probably not wort it one bad berring and it will run you more than your savings to fix who knows how much it has been used.

Ben Cadotte
02-19-2008, 2:20 PM
My rule of thumb for used is basically half of new. If it looks to be in decent shape. This one may be new enough to warrant the extra $100. But I don't like machines that are not set up. Motor may come on and turn lower wheel. But what does it do with a load?

Now don't necessiarrly turn it down if the blade doesn't track quite right (if he puts one on). It has been known that riser blocks can be off just a little and may just need a little tinkering. Not everyone that buys tools know how to set them up right. And just give up on them thinking its a bad tool.

If he puts a blade on it and lets you cut a decent piece of hardwood with it (bring your own). And everything seems ok to good. I say its probably a decent deal.

Peter Quinn
02-19-2008, 2:36 PM
This is a nice little bandsaw, but don't get caught up in a rush to buy it for $475. Industry standard is you pay 40%-60% for used equipment depending on condition what the replacement value is unless a warranty is offered. That warranty is a valuable little piece of insurance you pay for on a new machine. So $750 replacement value w/accessories= $450 used price in top condition. $475 is a little north of fair if the machine is perfect.

The blade issue on this saw is moot financially...a decent blade to test it out is what, $12? A very decent blade costs me $22. Hardly the swing vote. But if I were selling mine it would be tuned up with a new blade ready for potential buyers to test, thats just me.

Bearings are not that expensive either but you either need to verify that the saw is in top condition or achieve a lower price to compensate you for any neccessary repairs. Problem is you need a fair amount of experience with a bandsaw to tell if everything is working right.

So if this is going to be your first bandsaw I'd offer to pay less and/or bring someone with you that really knows what to look for. Check the motor, tire wear, guide bearing/thrush bearing/block wear, flywheel bearings, make sure the blade tensions properly and the wheels can be made to plane properly. Could be the saw came with the stock blade, guy adds the riser and doesn't have the longer blade, looses interest and never uses the saw! Who knows?

Take it or leave it, your not missing the deal of the century here.

Bruce Page
02-19-2008, 3:04 PM
Scott, my motto is buy high & sell low, so take this with a grain of salt. :o:rolleyes:
If the saw is mechanically sound, then it is worth what you are willing to spend on it. I have been in your shoes; "Dang it! I wand a BS and I’m tired of messing around!"

Do what makes you happy!

CPeter James
02-19-2008, 3:48 PM
One advantage is that you see and feel it and check it out before you buy it. Not like buying a new one and have to fix the factory defects that seem to be so common these days.

CPeter

Jason Scott
02-19-2008, 6:34 PM
Thanks guys, points well taken, he is an avid woodworker selling out everything...The saw looks new, but again I know nothing about bandsaws so I have to take his word on it...I haven't heard back as of yet from him so we'll see, if not I am going to buy either the grizzly or the new jet like my other post was asking, but if this works out and the saw is decent I think it is a fair deal, not great, but fair...

Monroe Brown
02-19-2008, 8:08 PM
I recently sold the exact same bandsaw (craiglist) with riser block, link belt, cobra coil spring, fence, cool blocks and half inch blade from Suffolk Machinery. Very light usage and about 3 years old. Paid 599 for the saw with fence and cool blocks, 75 for the riser, 20 for the spring, and I think about 29 for the link belt. So I had about 725 into the saw and got 475 when I sold it. I would have gone down as low as 445 but the guy did not barter.

For what it's worth...

MB