PDA

View Full Version : A Pair of Cherries

Raymond Overman
02-19-2008, 9:58 AM
I've turned a few new natural edge cherry bowls from a tree my father and I harvested a couple of weeks ago. I like turning green cherry because it's forgiving, smells good, and makes such beautiful pieces. This particular tree was about 16" in diameter at the base and had a lot of heartwood with distinctive radial lines that I've seen in other cherries.

These pieces will be going to the Southern Spring Show in Charlotte, NC with me on the 28th.

Natural Edge Cherry (large)
9 1/2" diameter x 6" tall
boiled linseed oil/mineral spirits/varnish
buffed and waxed

Natural Edge Cherry (small)
8" diameter x 4" tall
buffed and waxed

Tim Malyszko
02-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Those are great pieces. The heartwood, sapwood and Natural Edge makes a very visually interesting piece.

Nice work.

Bernie Weishapl
02-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Beautiful Raymond. Wood and finish are great. Really like the color of that cherry.

Tom Sherman
02-19-2008, 10:32 AM
I agree with you Raymond that is some nice looking Cherry. Nice work.

Glenn Hodges
02-19-2008, 11:04 AM
2 more winners Raymond, can't beat those with a stick.

Arlan Ten Kley
02-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Wow! those are great. Looking forward to my first experience with cherry. Good luck at the show....enter with confidence!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Raymond......beautifully done....the color in that wood is extraordinary!

johannes michelsen
02-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Hey Raymond those are great bowls, nice work! I just took delivery of 125 blocks of Cherry 18" and larger I guess I better get turning. I've sold that Suspened Animation piece that you put on Fark for me, that was truly funny:D Have done some more of that type work i'll ppost soon. not just hats anymore. Hannes

Steve Schlumpf
02-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Beautiful, balanced, thin, colorful... just a few of the descriptions that come to mind when I saw these bowls! You just keep getting better! Good luck with the upcoming show!

Raymond Overman
02-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I appreciate them very much.

Hey Raymond those are great bowls, nice work! I just took delivery of 125 blocks of Cherry 18" and larger I guess I better get turning. I've sold that Suspened Animation piece that you put on Fark for me, that was truly funny:D Have done some more of that type work i'll ppost soon. not just hats anymore. Hannes

Hannes,

Sounds like you're gonna be busy for a while.

I'm trying to remember exactly what the Suspended Animation piece was. It would seem that I've lost it on my end. If you've got a copy and can post it to jog my memory I'd appreciate it.

Jim Becker
02-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Wonderful color on those, Raymond!

Raymond Overman
02-19-2008, 1:02 PM
I've sold that Suspened Animation piece that you put on Fark for me, that was truly funny:D Have done some more of that type work i'll ppost soon. not just hats anymore. Hannes

Ah, I may have found what you're talking about. Someone posted your work as a photoshop contest on Fark a few years ago. I think the attached picture is one of the "interpretations" I saved because it impressed me. Neat stuff.

If you have a picture of the original piece Hannes, I would appreciate it if you'd post it.

Ron Drew
02-19-2008, 1:08 PM
Wow, what great color Ray. Very nice turnings. Hope you get lotsa $ for them.

Ben Gastfriend
02-19-2008, 3:55 PM
Nice contrast in those bowls! Great job.

robert hainstock
02-19-2008, 4:03 PM
Love your work, Raymond. Simple and elegant. :):)
Bob

Maylon Harvey
02-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Ray,
Love that cherry!!! Such great contrast.
Does the cherry move much after you have turned it "all the way" green without any drying process?

Barry Stratton
02-19-2008, 11:27 PM
SWEEEEET cherry bowls Raymond!

Don Vito
02-20-2008, 12:52 AM
I've worked with cherry as well....and enjoy it for many of the same reasons that you do
1. Did you use CA glue to hold the bark on?
2. How do you prevent the dark bark from bleeding onto the nice white layer? I believes this happens when the gouge moves past the dark bark and across the light outer layer....

Alex Elias
02-20-2008, 5:52 AM
Those are beautiful. Congrats. Very nice colors and shapes

Raymond Overman
02-20-2008, 8:20 AM
I've worked with cherry as well....and enjoy it for many of the same reasons that you do
1. Did you use CA glue to hold the bark on?
2. How do you prevent the dark bark from bleeding onto the nice white layer? I believes this happens when the gouge moves past the dark bark and across the light outer layer....

Thanks for the interest Don.

1. I did not use CA to hold the bark on. I've had good luck without it as long as I take the tree in the Winter before the sap starts running. The bark tends to stay on better when I do this.

2. I do have some problem with the bark leaving marks where the gouge has moved across the end grain. I solve this with an 80 grit gouge. One way to minimize this after you turn your bowl around so the tenon is in the chuck is to take light cleaning cuts from the rim to the bottom of the bowl.

Mark Hulette
02-20-2008, 9:12 AM
Fantastic stuff! Thanks for sharing---

One quick question: Did you rough turn then use DNA? If so, how'd you keep the bark on during the DNA bath?

Thanks for posting- great stuff

Raymond Overman
02-20-2008, 9:39 AM
Fantastic stuff! Thanks for sharing---

One quick question: Did you rough turn then use DNA? If so, how'd you keep the bark on during the DNA bath?

Thanks for posting- great stuff

Nope, no DNA for these pieces. Just turned consistently thin and left to air dry.

steven carter
02-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Great job Raymond. You did a good job of keeping the dark sawdust from getting into the sapwood.

Mark Hulette
02-20-2008, 2:12 PM
Nope, no DNA for these pieces. Just turned consistently thin and left to air dry.

Just wondering with the bark staying on so well how you would have done it... but if I remember from one of your earlier posts that you like the natural contortions the NE will take- makes sense!

What are the odds that you'll get a fatal crack or split?

Love the color and the contrast! Thanks for posting

Raymond Overman
02-20-2008, 3:16 PM
What are the odds that you'll get a fatal crack or split?

Slim to none. The piece is turned to a consistent thickness all the way through to the bottom. The larger one has moved to more of an oval over the last few days, but as you said, it doesn't matter since the contortions just add character to the the uneven top edge. It still has a symmetrical feel to it even as an oval. I would dare to say it's dry now since it's so thin.

David Wilhelm
03-11-2008, 5:31 PM
Raymond?????

Any brand of varnish you like best? I've got a oak blister I want to try your dip on. thanks.........Will

Natural Edge Cherry (small)
8" diameter x 4" tall
buffed and waxed

Dennis Peacock
03-11-2008, 6:15 PM
One word comes quickly to mind Raymond.......Awesome!!!!

Very well done and very tasteful.

Adam Howard
03-11-2008, 7:32 PM
Wow! Those look awesome!!

Allen Neighbors
03-11-2008, 8:29 PM
Her Majesty oohed and aahed over these. Beautiful Job, Raymond! Thanks for the explanations. I've never had a chance at any green cherry. But after this, I'll jump on it when the chance comes round. :)