PDA

View Full Version : Miniature Personalized Cedar Chest Project

Stephen Edwards
02-19-2008, 9:10 AM
Howdy Folks,

I wanted to share a fairly simple and straightforward project that I've made quite a few of over the years. These miniature cedar chests are a great gift item for a family member or friend. I give them away (sell a few, too!) as wedding or anniversary gifts. They're also great gifts for new born babies.

The jointery is simple and easy enough for the less skilled among us to accomplish. This project is a great confidence builder. Perhaps some of you will find it interesting. I hope so!

This image is a view of the mini chest with lid closed:

This image shows the chest with the lid open. Please note the two removable sliding trays. You can also see the simple spline joint used as the corner joints.

Fortunately, I have an old New Hermes Pantagraph engraving machine, (from the dark ages of engraving equipment!) and several brass font styles. This enables me to personalize the underside of the lid like this:

Finally, here's a close up of the engraving. In this case I engraved the text, sprayed the engraved area with a couple of coats of laquer and then sanded down the overspray back to the unfinished wood. Sometimes a customer will want the engraved text to be black. In that case I spray with clear laquer first, then engrave, then spray with black paint...another coat or two of laquer and a final sanding to remove all paint and laquer from everywhere except the engraved area. The reason for spraying with laquer before the black paint is to keep the paint from penetrating too deeply into the cedar. Again, in this particular chest there's no paint. I just wanted to include that explaination in case anyone was interested.

On a few engraving projects I've used a product called gesso which you can tint with color bases. You can then fill an engraved area, let it dry overnight and sand flush with the surface. I digress! Here's the close up of the engraving:

I hope that some of you find this simple project interesting and inspiring. If anyone wants more details on the construction I'll be glad to share.

Richard M. Wolfe
02-19-2008, 9:45 AM
Hi Stephen,

Over the years I have made who knows how many cedar chests (I'm working on one now with another to do). Then about ten or fifteen years ago I thought I'd try what you did, and called it a "baby cedar chest". I've probably made about twenty of them. I usually make them from aromatic (eastern red) cedar but occasionally other materials.

I found out right away that you can't keep the same proportions as a larger one....looks awful that way. I make them identical to the way the larger ones are made. That is, I use a dust lip, base moldings with feet, etc. I have no provision for engraving anything, but since they are all sold and not going to a specific person. Good job on yours, btw.

Lori Kleinberg
02-19-2008, 1:52 PM
Very nice project. Thanks for sharing.

Stephen Edwards
02-19-2008, 1:56 PM
Hi Richard,

I'd love to see photos of the ones that you build. I, too, use eastern red cedar for for the ones that I build. However, I've some beautiful old barnwood that I've planed down to a smooth surface and plan on building one soon using that material.

Thanks again,

gary Zimmel
02-19-2008, 2:40 PM
Stephen

Very nice cedar chests. Thanks for the post.