PDA

View Full Version : under table saw cabinet

William Nimmo
02-19-2008, 7:59 AM
I have a saw stop with 52 inch rails. I have placed several different items under the rails at times, but now I want to make a nice functional cabinet to hold my jigs and whatever else under the rails and still leave room for the door to open.
anybody make anything picture worthy to help me with design Ideas.
thanks

Tom Veatch
02-19-2008, 9:09 PM
This is what I built for mine.

glenn bradley
02-19-2008, 9:18 PM
Tom, that looks great. A beautiful and useful custom job.

Jon Todd
02-19-2008, 9:22 PM
I put the router table in mine. with more room under that.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/Jet_saw_2-3-08_0131.jpg

Tom Veatch
02-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks, Glenn.

It's based on a design I saw in one of the WW mags. I think it was "Wood", but don't hold me to that. I got tired of stuff piled on top of the table, but as you can see, I still haven't quite got that problem licked.:D

keith ouellette
02-19-2008, 10:50 PM
I haven't finished so i don't have any pics but i'll try to describe it for you. I have 52" rails on my jet left tilt and i just moved them to to the right a little because I don't need much cutting capacity to the left.

I had a set of shelves atop a platform I used as a mobile base but now am making a cabinet 48" x 31". The first 26" has two open shelves (for long items like the fence and a small cross cut sled and two wide drawers for blades, dado blades, miter and so on. The other 22" is for a router cabinet and the drawers face the end (perpendicular to the saw blade) for all my router stuff and bits. There is space between the blade tilt wheel and the cabinet. enough for my tenon jig and a larger cross cut sled to be stored on its side.

The whole thing sits on a large mobile platform. The saw/router cabinet has its own levelor legs so I can put that table in the same plane as the saw table.

I have most of the parts cut to size and now have to get time to assemble it.

This was a little complicated for my skill level so i'm not quite sure if my plans will work out.

RickT Harding
02-20-2008, 8:40 AM
I don't have that much space ,but I love having this rolling cart under my saw. Things like my sharkguard and feather boards are much handier to get at. I put mine on wheels so it can be moved out into an area and act as a mini-cabinet to sit things on while working. Perhaps a pair of these would work out for you.

The bottom drawer is sized to sit blades up vertically which is why it's so big.

http://mihardings.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=20065&g2_serialNumber=2

Michael Weber
02-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks, Glenn.

It's based on a design I saw in one of the WW mags. I think it was "Wood", but don't hold me to that. I got tired of stuff piled on top of the table, but as you can see, I still haven't quite got that problem licked.:D
In my shop/house any horizontal surface is fair game for acting as storage and probably is. I like the bookmatched back side of the cabinet. Intentional?

Greg Funk
02-20-2008, 12:23 PM
I built this simple cabinet to store saw blades and miscellaneous tools. It fits under the extension table of a Unisaw.

Greg

Stephen Ash
02-20-2008, 2:02 PM
I built this rolling cabinet to fit underneath my contractor saw. The odd shape was necessary to leave clearance for the router and mobile base pedal. The separate drawer sits on top of the leg braces and has simple interlocking runners underneath for alignment and to prevent the whole thing from tipping when the drawer is open.

BTW, this is my first post. I've been lurking on this great site for quite a while now, and I'm glad to finally have something to contribute.

Regards,
Steve

Tom Veatch
02-20-2008, 3:03 PM
... I like the bookmatched back side of the cabinet. Intentional?

Well, yes and no. The case is cut from 3/4" Borg plywood. But I did notice the grain pattern before I started cutting and positioned the piece layout to take advantage of it. Afterwards, I regretting not using that part of the sheet for the door panels.