PDA

View Full Version : 15 Minutes Of Fame

James Mittlefehldt
02-19-2008, 6:16 AM
Yesterday I was looking through the workbench book by Christopher Schwarz, minding my own business. I had been reading the quotes at the bottom of the pages by such luminaries (sp) as Moxin, Dunbar etc. when I came to page 91. I was surveying the cut list for the English workbench, when the quote at the bottom of that page caught my eye.

It was by me, (puffs out chest) I mean you can't miss the spelling of my last name it stands out like the proverbial sore thumb,(was spelled right to) and I recalled the specific quote, it was a smart a** remark I made in a thread that I believe was debating buying verse making a workbench.

So there you go Moxin, Krenov,Einstien, Dunbar and Mittlefehldt, I will be happy to autograph anyones book .

Actually it also shows that someone at Popular Woodworking is watching, looks nervously over cyber shoulder. The notation also cited that it was on Sawmill Creek as well.

Wait till I show that to my Mother in Law.

Terry Bigelow
02-19-2008, 6:26 AM
I just got my copy and happened to catch that myself. Nice! Enjoy your 15 minutes:D!!

Tim Sgrazzutti
02-19-2008, 8:38 AM
So what was the actual quote? Don't leave us hanging..........

Thomas Knighton
02-19-2008, 12:21 PM
IIRC, the original quote was something like "workbenches are like lasagna, they should be made, not purchased". I remember reading that quote from you in the book when I got my copy several weeks ago. I just figured you already knew about it.

Guess not :)

Tom

James Mittlefehldt
02-19-2008, 3:32 PM
"Workbenches are like lasagna, you make them you don't buy them," or something like that, my copy is not here rignt now, maybe my wife took it to work.

rick fulton
02-19-2008, 3:44 PM
Chris owes you a tee shirt. Thats what he pays if your quote is put in Woodworking Magazine.
I noted that you were quoted in the book in this thread.
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=708895&highlight=James+Mittlefehldt#post708895
I also assumed that you knew.
Congrats,
rick

Thomas Knighton
02-19-2008, 4:46 PM
"Workbenches are like lasagna, you make them you don't buy them," or something like that, my copy is not here rignt now, maybe my wife took it to work.

Yep, that's it...more or less. Great line by the way :)

Tom

Dave Lehnert
02-19-2008, 10:29 PM
All in about a years time I was quoted in WOOD magazine twice. Then I have a post about wood glue that I think is now on Rockler web site. All was taken off the internet.

David Martino
02-19-2008, 11:51 PM
Technically, wouldn't this post belong in the Lasagna section? ;)

Congrats on the elevation to published authorhood.

Marcus Ward
02-20-2008, 6:25 AM
Congratulations, I will have to borrow that with your permission of course. It fits a lot of situations. :)

Chuck Hamman
02-20-2008, 9:36 AM
I too saw your quote in Chris' book and I recognized your unique last name right away. At the very least I would have thought you would have gotten a copy of the book. It's a good quote.

As to the 15 minutes of fame, forget it. Chris' book is destined to be one of the standards and will see many reprints. Your quote will "...live in infamy" like some of the greats: "There is nothing to fear but fear itself." and "...ask not what your country can do for you...."

As to the MIL, I'm betting she's not impressed :-)

Regards,
-Chuck

Michael Gibbons
02-20-2008, 1:18 PM
Are you going to widen the door to your shop so you can make it in?:D

Greg Muller
02-20-2008, 1:39 PM
Nice James!

Now your quote ranks right up there above:

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

But somewhat below:

"Where's the beef?!?!"

You should be proud!:p

Greg

Louis Bois
02-21-2008, 2:28 PM
James, I noticed your name when I was proofreading the initial draft! It made me chuckle...

Cheers fellow Canuckistanian!

James Carmichael
02-21-2008, 3:33 PM
Nice James!

But somewhat below:

"Where's the beef?!?!"

Greg

I hear Barack Obama is talking lasagna.

Joe Chritz
02-21-2008, 3:38 PM
Nice James!

But somewhat below:

"Where's the beef?!?!"

Greg

You actually made me laugh out loud.

I can still see the old lady asking where's the beef.

Joe

Ken Werner
02-21-2008, 3:40 PM
James, congrats...BTW, did they not ask your permission for the quote first?

Ken

Rick Gifford
02-21-2008, 5:06 PM
Went and looked, here's the quoted post:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=346812#poststop

It is my contention that workbenches and tool boxes are like good lasagna, you don't buy it, you make it.

Actually my workbench is the single biggest thing I have ever built to date, when I built it I had a workmate to work with, and a piece of veneered particle board on two saw horses. I built the trestle first and then it was able to supposrt the planks I used for the top. Which I noted with some interest last week that Roy Underhill on his show did the same thing, so I must have some intuitive knowledge I guess.

James Mittlefehldt
02-21-2008, 7:08 PM
Actually no, I was not asked for permission. Not that, that is a problem I would have said yes, still shaking my head though.