PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Help! (Grizzly G0555)

Mark Kelly
03-10-2004, 11:23 PM
Hello!

I was setting up my new bandsaw today. The Grizzly G0555. Since I still have not received my timberwolf blades yet, I decided to "practice" with the stock blade.

I am to the part on tensioning the blade. It's the standard 3/8" blade. Per the instructions, I tensioned the blade to the 3/8's mark. Then I was supposed to turn the bandsaw on and slowly decrease the tension until the blade "fluttered." Ok, I was slowly doing that and the blade never fluttered all the way until the tension reading was below the 1/8" line! Is this correct?!? And what exactly do they mean flutter? Will I see it when looking at the blade from behind or on the wide side of the blade (standing directly in front of the machine?)

I have never ever used a band saw, so I am brand-spankin new with it.

Dick Parr
03-10-2004, 11:47 PM
Mark, for me the tensioning is by feel. I don't want the blade to twist when I am cutting a piece of wood. You want the blade to track in a stright line. This will come with practice and some scrap wood. If the blade wounders, tighten it up some more. When I had my 3 wheel Delta BS I used the scale and it never was tight enough to stop the blade from woundering. But it was a place to start from. Remember to loosen the tension if you aren't using the blade all the time. It will wear on the rubber bands and stretch the blade after time.

So tighten it back up to eh 3/8 mark and start practicing, you will get the feel for when it is right.

Have fun with your new toy.

Ray Dockrey
03-11-2004, 9:08 AM
I have the same bandsaw and I never could get the flutter thing right. I just set it where it cuts the straightest and where the saw runs the smoothest. Seems to work okay. It usually ends up somewhere pretty close to where it should be according to the scale. I do deflect the blade once I get it set to try and get a feel on how much side deflection I have when the blade is set right. I hope this makes sense.

Kent Cori
03-11-2004, 9:39 AM
Mark,

I have the same bandsaw and do use the flutter technique on my TW blades. Here are a couple of thoughts:

1. The Griz blade is likely thicker than a TW blade and, therefore, may not flutter in a similar manner. Don't throw the Griz blade out. It can be used on "junk" wood or wood with some possible metal in it. It also makes a good emergency backup. However, I don't use it for anything else, the TW blades are just too good.
2. Rest a piece of blank white paper on the table other side of the blade from your eye. This simply makes the flutter easier to see.
3. Move the upper guide bearing arm to its highest position if you haven't done so already.
4. Make sure the guide bearings have been moved away from the blade otherwise it won't flutter. DAMHIKT. :rolleyes:

The flutter is a little difficult to see the first few times you do this. Also, make sure you adjust the tension as soon as you see the first incidence of flutter. The blade has a natural frequency and will likely flutter at several tension levels as you detension the blade. The first time it flutters is what you want.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Mark Kelly
03-11-2004, 10:19 AM
No, I would never throw it away. Even if it is junk, it CAN be used for something...and I was thinking that, yes, I would use it as backup.

However since I am waiting on TW blades, and am NOT patient enough not to at least try the saw, I did what Dick suggested. My fear was not having enough tension waiting for it to flutter...that it would just flutter off the wheels! When you have never seen a bandsaw in use before, one tends to be VERY careful.

Let me ask you (and others), does the fence that was included normally sit off the table like mine does? Mine is not flush to the table and sits about 1/2" off. Noe, granted, I didn't spend a lot of time look at how the fence worked, etc, but just installed it and thought it strange that when it is locked it sits that high off the table.

Ray Dockrey
03-11-2004, 12:07 PM
On the front side, you need to use the lower holes. This will lower the fence. The holes look to be to big, but the screw will thread into them. I read this somewhere here before I put mine together and therefore did not have this problem. I would have though as it is not in the instructions and the upper holes look to be the right ones. Let us know if you need more help. Hope this helps.

Mark Kelly
03-11-2004, 12:14 PM
On the front side, you need to use the lower holes. This will lower the fence. The holes look to be to big, but the screw will thread into them. I read this somewhere here before I put mine together and therefore did not have this problem. I would have though as it is not in the instructions and the upper holes look to be the right ones. Let us know if you need more help. Hope this helps.

Yes, that makes sense. I did insert them into the upper holes because of size appearance. I am sure this will fix the problem. Thanks!

Kent Cori
03-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Mark,

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing the first time around. I love the BS but the assembly instructions could use a little more attention.