PDA

View Full Version : Completed hall table w/pics

Andy Pratt
02-19-2008, 1:22 AM
Just made this over the 4-day weekend. It's my first large project made of solid wood that I milled myself. That being said, I'm mostly posting it looking for honest criticism so that I can improve my technique. Everyone here is always very polite, so I'm asking you to put that aside and give me some hard advice if you see anything that's flawed. Aside from that, I'm happy to hear any general comments you might have.

Here's the details:

All wood except legs is 3/4", all wood is western maple, some kiln dried, some not, some spalted, some not. Panels were glued together on 90 degree side grain joints w/titebond III, panels are joined to 1&1/4" legs with Tongue and Groove joints cut with adjustable T&G router bits (made the fit very, very tight) glued them only on the end of the tongue to avoid glue spill out (easy but probably not the best solution). Two front supports (anyone know a name for these?) under top and bottom shelf are M&T into legs, but I chose not to pin the joints because I was lazy and haven't done it before. To take the easy way out (carcass natural pressure is to open the front wider, FWW fix would have been pinned M&T joints in front) I used pocket screws to fix the bottom shelf to the side panels and the same to fix the side panels to the table top. Shelves are dadoed into the legs only, would have been better to do a dado through the whole panel but wasn't up to it as a first project. Overall I was trying to minimize the chance for personal error. Did a lot of M&T and shelf dado work by hand with chisels and saw, it was very satisfying, what I got into woodworking for. Overall a fun project, but please feel free to tell me what I could have done better.

Thanks,

Andy

Ben Cadotte
02-19-2008, 1:25 AM
Think you forgot something :D

Andy Pratt
02-19-2008, 1:30 AM
Sorry, forgot the pictures. First few are of the table after assembly but before finishing, including the location I intend to keep it at after it's done. Last few are after first coat of watco natural today, the spalted maple is definitely highlighted in an almost flame maple fashion, if I've got my nomenclature correct.

I'm pretty excited about putting it to work next to the bar as a table for random crap, mostly for asthetics as it will replace a $20 white wire rolling stand of similiar dimensions.

John Michaels
02-19-2008, 2:34 AM
I think you did a fine job. It looks great. My only advice for future pojects would be to use two different woods that compliment each other. Cherry & eastern maple, maybe walnut and red alder.

Here's a link from one of my tables: zebrawood & walnut

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68034

Ron Dunn
02-19-2008, 3:30 AM
Here is my design critique ... congratulations on your first project, with a few suggestions for your next.

1. The side panels in shots #2 and #5 have the lighter strip of wood at opposite sides of the panel. The balance might have been improved by having both light strips at the same side. If I was doing it, I would have put the lighter side at the rear of the cabinet, so it didn't make such a strong contrast between the leg and the body of the panel in #5.

2. The shelves look a bit fat. Do you have access to a thicknesser or to thinner stock? If so, make them a bit thinner. If not, rather than rounding the front edge, try undercutting it with a bevel to lighten the front appearance.

3. The top looks it was routed just for the hell of it. Definitely bevel the underside rather than routing the profile. Think about making the top smaller - to the dimensions of the base - and routing/planing a v-groove where the top meets the base to create an interesting shadow line.

These are very minor criticisms, and just represent my opinion ... feel free to disagree or disregard ... you've made a much nicer product than my first project :)

Joe Chritz
02-19-2008, 5:08 AM
I'm with Ron, the routed edge of the top looks like an after thought. The shelf is a bit thick but not to bad. The grain matching could be smoother on the sides, specifically the light strip.

Overall a very good first (or later even) project. I like the maple figure but would have opted for complimentary woods also. Most likely walnut legs or walnut legs and top with maple panels.

Was that your design or something you had plans for? I only ask because other than the fat shelf the design is well balanced.

Joe

Jim Becker
02-19-2008, 6:59 AM
Nice job, Andy!

Don Bullock
02-19-2008, 9:38 AM
Andy, congratulations on your "first large project made of solid wood." You did a great job. Thanks for sharing.

Paul Girouard
02-19-2008, 9:50 AM
Nice job Andy.

Well equiped saw stop TS , any issues with it?

keith ouellette
02-19-2008, 10:14 AM
great looking project especially for a first.

By western maple do you mean soft maple?
I think its also called big leaf maple.

I like the tone of the wood before the finish (personal taste). What did you finish it with that gave it the more amber look?

Peter Quinn
02-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Ditto the other top responses, even just putting the profile on the underside of the top would lighten its appearance and draw you into the center of the piece. Sort of take you from a country/rustic look to more contemporary feel.

I'd stay away personally from mixing dissimular woods as advised previously. Never cared for the gratuatious splash of exotic lumber. Let the beauty of the spalted maple speak..just like you did.

Roy Wall
02-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Andy,

Congrats on a solid furniture piece...your joints are tight.

I would agree with the advice on the top - no router for the top edge, a little more overhang...and perhaps an underbevel. I like to draw something out to get some various looks. Then, in this instance, keep the top oversized and see how it looks......trimming it to final dimension later.

Secondly - I think the side panels need a bit more "recess" from the legs. It may be the photo.....but they look just a hair back of flush. I'd go an 8th inch back for sure and maybe more to give it some dimension.

You should gain confidence on this effort! Take on some walnut, cherry, or other premium furniture woods and they will make your work shine!

Craig D Peltier
02-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Nice first project!
I do reccommend you get a digital camera with stabilization on it though.:)

gary Zimmel
02-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Andy

Great job on your first solid wood project.

First of many...

Andy Pratt
02-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone, your points of matching grain/wood color better on the side panels and using a different profile for the table top are definitely good one. I hadn't thought much about the table top profile, so it was accurately described as an afterthought. That's something I'll definitely improve on my next project. Considered contrasting woods, as I've got a stock of 2X2 walnut & cherry I could have used, but opted to stick with the cheap stuff until I'm really confident in my abilities (I'd rather make my mistakes at $1 a BF instead of $6). Also wanted it to blend in to the low-key nature of the bar by not being too showy.

I appreciate all of the honest advice, thanks a lot.

Andy