PDA

View Full Version : Flipper style door hinges

Bill Falkenbach
03-10-2004, 11:02 PM
I have a customer that wants an entertainment center built using the flippper style doors to enclose it. Problem is, she wants to use 2 interior doors from a room. They're 96" tall, 30" wide, 1-3/4" thick and probably weigh 100-150lbs each. Looked at Rockler, Woodcraft---don't sell anything to support this size/weight. Anybody point me in the direction where I could find or have these made?
Thanks, Bill

Jamie Buxton
03-11-2004, 1:20 AM
Hafele sells ones that big, made by Hawa. Hafele is a wholesaler, so you may have to jump some hurdles to get them to sell to you. www.hafeleonline.com.

Also, if the doors are 1 3/4" thick, they're probably intended to be exterior doors, not interior, and they may well be solid-core. If you can get the homeowner to let you use interior doors, you may save yourself some trouble. Interior doors are typically 1 3/8" thick, and are often hollow-core. Lighter doors would reduce the requirements on the hanging system, and reduce the strain on your back at installation time.

Chris Padilla
03-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Would it be silly, ugly, impractical to consider adding a caster/wheel to the door's bottom to help with support? Large gates on fences often employ a wheel...dunno if it would work here.