PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw, narrowed it to two, which one would you choose?

Jason Scott
02-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Hey guys,

I know a lot of questions have been asked about best bandsaw yada yada, but I have narrowed my search to two different models and need to know which you would buy.

First and the one up until tonight I thought I was going to get, is the jet 14 closed stand, it is on sale for 549.00 with a 50 dollar rebate and I am going to a sale they are having in a couple of weeks and I get 10% off which brings the total for the jet to 444.00+tax. I thought this was a good deal, and you all have said it was. The only thing that is bothering me is that it does not come with a fence of any kind, which I really want. The fence is another 100.00 putting it at more like 550.00 which I guess still isn't bad. This brings me to the other choice:

Tonight I was looking through my Grizzly catalog, I do not own anything made by them currently except a DC bag. I came to the "ultimate 14" bandsaw" of theirs. It seems really nice, and for 395.00 + shipping (app. 70 bucks) 465 total to my door, it comes with a fence and miter gauge. So I am still leaning towards the jet, but that is only b/c of the Name, period, I have no jet, or Grizzly tools.

I want to make a good decision that I won't regret, so I need some help. Which one would you get and why? Also I know many of you might say, get a different brand, but honestly I have narrowed it down to these two for price/performace, if another one comes close feel free, but those who might say, buy the 1200 dollar Powermatic with all the whistles, I do not want to spend more that 500 bucks. I have been looking used forever and just can't find anything. I don't know why I am leary over the Grizzly, they seem like a great company to me, maybe I just don't like the color as much as the jet? I really don't know, but I trust you more experienced guys on here, so please clue me in as I want to purchase this asap. And if most of you think waiting for a used one is the best, I will continue to do that, but I have been waiting and looking for several months and have only come across junk, or waaaaaayyyyyy overpriced stuff, like the 14 jet the guy wanted 550 for and it doesn't have a blade on it :confused::eek: I really appreciate any answers. And anything anyone could tell me about the quality of Grizzly would also be appreciated, I guess I see that there stuff is a little cheaper than the jet and I am thinking lower price = lower quality? Thanks,

Jason

Bas Pluim
02-18-2008, 11:07 PM
I have a JET table saw and the Grizzly G0555 band saw. I like both brands. Both Grizzly and JET have given me excellent customer service.

The G0555 is my first band saw, so I have nothing to compare it against. It has done everything I've wanted it to do - curve cuts, resawing, ripping thin strips etc. It also does well in every review I've seen. I don't know if the JET is better or worse, but I don't hear as many good things about it. Amazon has a large number of user opinions on the G0555, mostly positive.

In this price range, I don't think you can beat the Grizzly. Plus, you can buy the 6" riser block and still have a few dollars left - which you can now spend on a good blade.

Ben Cadotte
02-18-2008, 11:30 PM
For me I would go with the Grizzly. I really don't think there is much of a quality difference between the two if any.

Daniel Shnitka
02-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Buy the Jet and get the Laguna after market fence that has a nice adjustment to micro compensate for drift when resawing. You did say the Jet offered the fence as an optional extra that required additional expenditure.

Scott Donley
02-19-2008, 12:07 AM
Jason, I have the Jet 14" CStand and have been very happy with it. I have the riser and it does a great job cutting 10" blanks for turning. Would not want to use it if I was going to use it to do a bunch of resawiing. It does ok for the shorter pieces, but would not use it for 100's of bf.

Bill Huber
02-19-2008, 12:21 AM
I was looking at the exact 2 saws, the Grizzly does come with the fence and I was ready to order it. I got the flyer from Rockler and they had the Jet for sale and as you said it was $445.
The 2 saws are made I think buy the same people if you look at them close. I am not really sure of that but they sure look like it.

So what do I do... I thought about it and then ordered it from Rockler, just because they are local and if I need something they are there.

The fence is not that big of a deal to me because I would want a different one anyway.

Scott Donley
02-19-2008, 12:36 AM
I will say the Jet fence has worked well for me. When I got my saw it had been a demo, he had lost the fence but still had the rails on the saw, got a new fence and it came with rails. so if you ever need a set of new rails, let me know, free for the asking.:cool:

Eric Haycraft
02-19-2008, 12:40 AM
You may want to check the jet ad again. I believe that in addition to the rebates and sale price they are giving free fences too.

David Parker
02-19-2008, 12:48 AM
Hi Jason,

I've been going over all the 14 inch bandsaws myself in preparation for a purchase. In addition to the Grizzly and Jet, I would also include the Shop Fox W1706, which is $499 and includes a fence. Check their site www.woodstockint.com (http://www.woodstockint.com) for your local dealer. I have no personal experience with it, but my local dealer uses it for his personal bandsaw in his speaker construction business and he loves it. This is a Grizzly in Fox's clothing (same manufacturer).

Also, look at the Craftsman 22401. This frequently goes on sale for less than $500 and Sears has additional 10% off periods. This has gotten many favorable comments by owners.

One thing that I've noticed is that almost everyone seems to be happy with their bandsaw, regardless of what brand they buy. I think I will go with the Rikon 10-325 at that same 10% off sale. Good luck with your purchase.

Dave

Wayne Cannon
02-19-2008, 2:16 AM
Check out Amazon.com. They seem to have the same prices on both, plus you get free shipping for the Jet. There is also a 1 1/4 hp Jet for $50 more (also free shipping).

Differences:
-- Dust Collection Port:
Grizzly: 4"
Jet 1 HP: 2"
Jet 1 1/4 HP: 4"
-- Wheels: Grizzly: 6 spoke
Jet 1 HP: 7 spoke
Jet 1 1/4 hp: 9 spoke
-- Quick-release Tensioner:
Grizzly: yes
Jet 1 HP: no
Jet 1 1/4 HP: yes

I have the Jet and have been very happy with it. I've heard good things about the Grizzly too, so I expect you can decide based on price (and color, of course!). There is an advantage to staying with the "industry standard" 14" bandsaws because of the availability of third-party accessories that are not so widely available for the larger or more esoteric saws (e.g., Laguna, Rikon, any 16" or 18" saw, etc.).

The Jet fence is not worth much. I don't know anything about the Grizzly fence. The quick-release tensioner is definitely worthwhile (I use the after-market one by Carter (http://www.amazon.com/Carter-Products-QR1000-Release-Tension/dp/B0000AMK7M (http://www.amazon.com/Carter-Products-QR1000-Release-Tension/dp/B0000AMK7M)) and don't know how the Grizzly or Jet factory style compares.

Eric Haycraft
02-19-2008, 2:55 AM
You may want to check the jet ad again. I believe that in addition to the rebates and sale price they are giving free fences too.

I looked at the jet ad. There is a free fence, but on the 1.25 hp model. That model is only 50 dollars more than the one that you listed. That said, I have the 555 from griz and like it although I am not a heavy user.

Robert Conner
02-19-2008, 11:14 AM
I have the JET-JWBS-14DX thats the 14" with the 1.25 motor. I also have the riser kit for it. The only addition I have is a Mobile Base. It is a very good saw and will do anything.
If you plan on doing a lot of Very Heavy re-saw work you might want to think of a much larger saw. For about 99% of Hobby and light commercial work you could not ask for a better saw.
I used Delta 14" saws in School for many years. These were older models and they were trouble free with the exception of tires and numerous guide blocks. The JET feels and works better with the Tension release and the additional power. The fit and finish on the JET is equal to those Deltas.
In my opinion you cannot go wrong. I would go for the current deal and spring for the DX version.
Robert

Jason Scott
02-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys, could you please see my other post "need help fast" I was just made an offer on the Jet Deluxe 14" used one I looked at a month ago, thanks!