PDA

View Full Version : Cedar white vs red

Mark Hultzapple
02-18-2008, 9:31 PM
What is the difference between white and red cedar for outdoor uses? Can I use white for trim around porch posts or will it rot like pine?

Stephen Edwards
02-18-2008, 9:57 PM
If you're refering to what is commonly known as eastern red cedar the white part (the outer part of the tree) will hold up OK above ground in a vertical position. However, if the application is such that the trim is horizontal and will not shed water, in my experience, it won't hold up well.

If you can, you'll be better off to use mostly the red part of the wood in outdoor applications. That will hold up for years and years. The red part of that wood is very rot resistant.

Quinn McCarthy
02-18-2008, 9:58 PM
Mark

You can use both red and white cedar for outdoor projects. All cedars are pretty rot resistant. There a lot of people arpound here that use white cedar for decking or siding.

Of course everything lasts longer when you use a good outdoor stain.

Quinn

Larry Nall
02-18-2008, 10:20 PM
I've used both eastern white and western red with good results in outside projects with good results as long as it's not in contact with the ground. I know moths aren't supposed to like cedar but apparently termites think it's tasty. Clear Wood Finish or the like will make it look better and last longer, but it weathers well unfinshed too.