PDA

View Full Version : CompuCarve/CarveWright (alternative)

Brent Harding
02-18-2008, 8:36 PM
These machines look awesome, but sounds like they have a good deal of problems. I'm pretty sure I saw a similiar machine at the woodworking show, but didn't pay too much attention then. Is there another one or was that probably just a CarveWright?

I'm thinking one could really add some nice touches to my projects, but from what i have read the warranty is less than adequate.

Thanks.

Rob Wright
02-18-2008, 9:55 PM
Brent,

There is a good thread in the CNC forum on the carvewright/compucarve.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=75307

Seems that some people have had great luck with them and others have had some problems. I think that if you really push it hard, there may be some issues. I looked at one, but thought that the limit of not being able to import CAD or g-code might be problematic. I downloaded the trial software and it was very easy to use. Being able to also purchase 3d models from Vector Art 3d was also a nice addition.

For less than $2000 with the 3d software - it is a good deal if it is reliable. I ended up building a small cnc for about $600. The additional software (Vectric's VcarvePro was an additional $500) is great and I have the ability to cut 24x36, import cad and buy 3d models from the same site as the compucarve. It was a fun learning experience. Mine is in no way as accurate or as precise as the carvewright.

A shopbot that can do 24x36 (really fast and accurate) with the software will set you back $4000. You really need to have some projects to justify that!

- Rob