PDA

View Full Version : Incra OR Jointech TS Fence System?????

joseph j shields
02-18-2008, 8:19 PM
I am going to buy a new fence for my table saw and was planning on checking out the Incra & Jointech at the woodworking show this weekend.

Of course, after walking by their booths for years, I just found out they will not be at the show :mad::mad:

So, I asking for opinions on either system. I read the posts on the Creek (and other places) but still can't figure out which one to buy. I know that the Incra guys are happy with their purchases AND the Jointech people are happy with their Jointech.

Here are a couple of questions...

#1. Does anyone own (or used) both systems??? If yes, what say you???

#2. Incra owners, what do you like AND dislike about your system??

#3. Jointech owners, what do you like AND dislike about your system??

#4. Any reviews comparing both systems???

Thanks for your help!!!!

-jj

matt dumney
02-18-2008, 8:22 PM
Try this...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36378

joseph j shields
02-18-2008, 8:51 PM
Try this...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36378

Thanks for the link....

But after reading it, I'm still not sure which one to buy :confused::confused::confused::confused:

-jj

Brandon Shew
02-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Get the Incra. It's a bear for the initial assembly due to the total number of parts, and the design means that you need a lot of space to the right of your saw (36" +/- past the rails), but it is one nice piece of hardware. I had one for years until I downsized the shop and was faced w/ the size issue, but I loved it.

It is well made, well designed, incredibly flexible, and about as accurate as you can get. Plus - Incra's customer service is top notch. If you ever have aproblem, they'll take care of it with no questions asked. That alone makes it a top pick in my book.

Ben Rafael
02-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I've used both and own an incra. The jointech costs more and seems beefier. AFAIK they both do the same thing. I'm happy with the incra and would not spend the money for the jointech. Setup wasn't difficult, although the instructions have a few points that could be better illustrated.

David Giles
02-18-2008, 10:18 PM
In my short WW career, I’ve been able to own and use both systems. Both had a router table mounted to the saw table wing. The first was the Jointech cabinetmaker system with a 26” adjustable arm. The second was the Incra LSTS with a 32” arm. Bear in mind that I am a novice WW with decent mechanical skills. Here is my take on the two systems.

First, they are more alike than different. I love the ability to slide the fence to the selected dimension, cut the board and know that it is right without ever picking up a ruler. Creeping up on cuts couldn’t be easier. Why use an edge sander when the saw will trim another 0.002” from the edge or end? Dados are too easy. Just install a flat top rip blade and keep moving the fence over in small precise increments. Why shim a dado set to the correct width when the fence can adjust widen the dado by 0.002” if needed? But that’s not what you asked.

Both are substantially built systems. The Jointech may have a slight edge here, but neither system had any mechanical problems.

Throw-arm distance: The 32” Incra adjustable arm distance is better suited for cabinet panel parts. Moving the Jointech bridge gives the same capacity, but the fence must be recalibrated to the blade after each adjustment. But the longer arm eats up space on the right side of the saw.

Saw Fence: The Incra fence is a single piece with slots for attaching sacrificial fences. The Jointech fence splits in the middle. I was never able to make the two pieces match perfectly. 0.010” difference was about the norm and it made a difference in the cuts. Others have not had this problem, but it’s tough to mess up a straight piece of extruded aluminum.

Router Fence: The Jointech uses the same fence. The Incra adds a separate WonderFence. The Jointech plastic inserts act as ZCI for the router bits. The Incra suggests adding a sacrificial board. The Jointech right angle slider seems better built than the Incra. I haven't used the router part near as much as I thought I would.

Centering Tool: Jointech has some automated way of figuring the center of the board that I can’t remember. HF digital calipers and a few clicks on the fence microadjuster were more intuitive for me on both systems.

Setup: This is where the Incra surpassed the Jointech for me. The Jointech rails must be perfectly straight and parallel to the saw table or they will bind. In two years, I never achieved a smooth travel over the full range of motion. And this led to some inherent slop which defeated the capabilities of this high precision machine.

In their defense, my shop floor slopes 1.75” over the rail length. And I came up with several ideas to that should have fixed the problem, but upgraded saws before trying them. Shorter rails shouldn’t have any problem.
At first, the Incra setup seems much sloppier. When unlocked, the fence will easier move ½” out of parallel to the blade. But it is way more tolerant of setup inaccuracies. And when the positioner is tightened, the fence locks into a consistent, parallel position to the blade. People who restore old WW machines will like the Jointech. Those who cring at machine repair will like the Incra better.

Operation: The Incra takes an extra step ever time the fence is moved. On the Jointech, the fence can be locked and it won’t move under reasonable use. On the Incra, it’s a good idea to tighten the lockdown handle on the front of the fence. Because the Jointech fence is tighter to the rails, it may bind and be out of square, but the fence is tightly fixed when locked down.

I used the Incra over 18 months to build new kitchen cabinets. Despite the inevitable bumps with plywood sheets, it's still square.

Personally, the Incra system is working out better, but they are both good machines.

joseph j shields
02-18-2008, 10:26 PM
David,

Awesome review...thanks for taking the time to provide such detail!!!

You've convinced me to go with the Incra (I hope you are getting a commission :D:D:D)

I guess I'll be giving the Incra guys a call in the morning!

Thanks again!

-jj

Bruce Benjamin
02-18-2008, 10:26 PM
JJ, I can't give you any advice regarding the comparison between the two systems but you might find this thread interesting when it comes to customer service. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76912 I've never heard a negative word about Incra customer service. Just something you might want to think about when making your decision.

Bruce

joseph j shields
02-18-2008, 10:27 PM
I've used both and own an incra. The jointech costs more and seems beefier. AFAIK they both do the same thing. I'm happy with the incra and would not spend the money for the jointech. Setup wasn't difficult, although the instructions have a few points that could be better illustrated.

Ben,

Thanks for the info...

Any tips for an easy install???

-jj

Mike Goetzke
02-18-2008, 10:38 PM
I have neither fence but you may want to check out the post titled: Jointech Rant.