PDA

View Full Version : Jointing Long Boards

Jim Fox
02-18-2008, 7:34 PM
Need to run some 10' boards on thru the planer and jointer tomorrow, trying to figure out how to do it. One board is 12" wide and the other is around 11" wide, both 2.125" thick. So, I can't joint one face cause my ShopFox 1741 only does 8", right. I am not to worried about the faces as this is going to be more rustic type bench top for work in our store. I just need to joint one edge on each board so be can glue them together.

On a 120" board with only 76" of table, how do I best do the edge jointing?

Jim Becker
02-18-2008, 7:47 PM
The first question I have to ask is "why" do you need to joint a board that long? Are you making a component that long? If not, skim plane the board, lay out your components, cut them out rough and then joint/plane the smaller pieces. If you truly need to edge joint a board that long, it's going to be a challenge no matter what the method. But the best method might be to use a guided circular saw with a very long guide. But if you carefully adjust some outfeed support, you should be able to get the boards "close enough" for edge gluing using your jointer. I've done it a few times on my J/P with reasonable results.

Craig D Peltier
02-18-2008, 7:48 PM
Need to run some 10' boards on thru the planer and jointer tomorrow, trying to figure out how to do it. One board is 12" wide and the other is around 11" wide, both 2.125" thick. So, I can't joint one face cause my ShopFox 1741 only does 8", right. I am not to worried about the faces as this is going to be more rustic type bench top for work in our store. I just need to joint one edge on each board so be can glue them together.

On a 120" board with only 76" of table, how do I best do the edge jointing?

I have jointed 2 inch thick boards (oak) that are 12 feet on my 76" bed often. I use a work support on either end or both and just run it as normal.Table shouldnt tip.

John Thompson
02-18-2008, 8:19 PM
First.. refer to Jim B's post if you don't need them that long.

And if you do for making long molding for the house, etc.. refer to Craig's post. I also do it with a 8" jointer up to 14' when making moldings for house trim where I want them intact. I have a 84" bed on my jointer and use 2 Rigid flip tops with a friction surface. And I set them up carefully.. very carefully before running the cutter-head live.

As far as wider than 8", I do that with a double pass and then take the ridge line out with a #8 hand plane. I don't reccomend doing either to anyone, but it certainly can be done if extreme care is used.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Ben Cadotte
02-18-2008, 9:28 PM
For jointing a carefully set outfeed roller will suffice to help support the long Jointing. As for plaining 1 surface. Pick a nice flat board the same length as the one you need flattened. And use it as a good base. If the board to be milled is cupped or twisted, you can use small points of glue, or if your carefull with screw length, screw to it from underneath. This will keep it from moving. Then you can joint 1 face in your planer.

Or can use hand tools. :D