PDA

View Full Version : Yet another new lathe question. General 160-2

Fred Childs
02-18-2008, 6:48 PM
I have been waiting for the right lathe at the right price to come up for sale used for months. Surprisingly not too many come up for sale. I always see lots of Unisaws and shapers in good shape but trying to find a good lathe is another story. Anyway recently I came across a General 160-2, 12” swing, 15” in the gap, variable speed (500-3000). This would be my first lathe.

I am looking for opinions on this lathe in general and would also like to know what a good price would be for this used machine in good condition. New this seems to cost about $2500 and up:eek:. Looking at the specs for this lathe vs some other popular models I can’t see why. It seems to have the same or fewer features than a less expensive Jet.

Thanks

CPeter James
02-18-2008, 8:46 PM
My only comment is that in a full sized lathe, 12" isn't enough for me. Not for big bowls, but clearance for the tool handles over the bed. Just my experience.

CPeter

Andy Hoyt
02-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Purpose of the gap is to save on steel and add another line to the spec sheet.

Marty Barron
02-19-2008, 4:33 PM
Fred, I had that lathe for about 8 years but mine also had a outboard turning bracket attached. The lathe is a very sturdy one that was found in most high school woodshops in Canada. The lathe if used and abused in a high school would sell for about 800-1000. I purchased mine for $1700 with some chisels, chucks, book, and video and I sold it just before Xmas for $1500. The lathe is very durable and unless you are going to be turning large bowls greater than 12 inches it is a very good starting lathe. You will probably have to pay $1200-1500 to get this lathe. They do retain a good resale value. The lathe is made by General in Drummondville Quebec.

Hope this helps.

Marty