PDA

View Full Version : Repairing an old door

Dave Bureau
02-18-2008, 5:24 PM
I want to repair an old door. I want to fill the holes for the knob and the edge hole and redrill everything. Is there some type of epoxy or filler that I can use for this? I also want to fill and redrill the jamb.
Thanks
Dave

Steve Knowlton
02-18-2008, 6:43 PM
Dave, I Have Used Autobody Filler- Bondo. We Used That At The Door Plant I Ran.

fred woltersdorf
02-18-2008, 6:52 PM
i would epoxy in some filler pieces of wood and then redrill.

Dave Bureau
02-18-2008, 8:22 PM
my first thought was to use bondo. just wondering if there was anything else what was better. BTW this is an interior door and will be painted.
Dave

Bob Wilkerson
02-18-2008, 8:31 PM
Typically I'll cut a dutchman (wood patch) sized to fill the holes then epoxy them in place. A bit of bondo to finish it off and you're ready to paint. For very small holes the bondo is fine but I like the added strength of the patch.

Bob

Paul Girouard
02-18-2008, 8:39 PM
Bondo is good for the old door hardware holes , but for the hinge side IF your idea is to change swings and the hinges will be at the same location it would be better to rip off that 1/8" or so of old hinge mount area and re dap the butts .

IF that would be to much to remove for proper / good door gaps rip off say 3/4 " and glue back on a new piece .

If that glue line would show to much and the taking that added 1/8" off is not a option . I have cut out the door edge frame and removed that whole piece . Mill a new piece and re-glue that back into the door edge .

If you really want to save money and effort go buy a new paint grade Birch door and rehang thatnew door in the old jamb . It will look better and last longer in the long run . A slab Birch door should cost under $75.00 with no machining.

Tom Godley
02-18-2008, 10:14 PM
I had very nice old wood door that I wanted to use as an interior pocket door - I filled the knob hole with wood epoxy -- I have fixed it twice now you can still see the round hole through the paint.

The epoxy and the wood change at different rates through out the year - I will use wood next time for a plug. I was told I should have cut out the hole and used a square plug - I do not know maybe