PDA

View Full Version : iron or bronze

Joel Goodman
02-18-2008, 4:57 PM
I am about to treat myself to a new LN #4 -- iron or bronze? Anyone with experience with the bronze -- have you had a problem with it "marking" the wood with I guess oxidation? Is it worth te extra $. Or should I just get the 4 1/2? I'm planning on the 50 degree frog in either case.

Thanks

David DeCristoforo
02-18-2008, 5:05 PM
Iron will rust...bronze will not. Bronze has a "warmer" tactile quality than iron. But if there is no rust and you keep the sole polished and clean, an iron plane will serve as well.

YM

Juan Lauchu
02-18-2008, 5:18 PM
FWIW, I just ordered (like 2 hours ago) a LN #4 bronze from http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/index.htm. Cheapest I could find it. I was emailing Christopher Schwarz about a smoothing plane and for my criteria/conditions on spending money, he had me consider the bronze. I'm looking forward to getting it soon. Check out the website.
Happy spending,
Juan

Don C Peterson
02-18-2008, 5:45 PM
My LN #4 is iron, I went with iron due to availability and price reasons. I have several LN block planes that are bronze though and have never had any problems with marking at all.

The bronze planes weigh a little more and will not rust although, they will change colors and take on a patina unless you polish them. I'm not sure that the rust should be much of a consideration. It would be almost criminal to allow a fine tool like that to rust, regardless of what it's made of, and the iron and the iron and chip breaker are steel in any case. If I'm not mistaken the frog is still iron even with the bronze body. So regular cleaning and maintenance is important either way you go.

Joel Goodman
02-18-2008, 5:47 PM
Thanks for the input. I haven't had a problem with my other iron planes and rust. My question is if the weight is enough of an advantage to justify the $.

Thanks

Don C Peterson
02-18-2008, 5:52 PM
I just looked and I was indeed mistaken, the frog is apparently made of bronze. For $20 more, it's hard to argue against the bronze version, if for no other reason than it has a certain panache.

Doug Mason
02-18-2008, 6:07 PM
If you drop it, bronze will dent more easily (it is softer). As to the 4 or 41/2, I find it depends on how big your hands/body are in proportion to the plane/it's weight.

gary Zimmel
02-18-2008, 7:46 PM
Joel

The bronze # 4 is a real pretty tool and I like the extra weight the bronze gives it, however I use my 4 1/2 alot more so if I had to chose between the 2 it would be a 4 1/2.

When I got my bronze # 4 I bit the bullet and got it with a coco tote and knob. Now thats a good lookng plane....

As for rust, I keep a dehumidifier going so moisture is not a problem.

Pedro Reyes
02-18-2008, 9:16 PM
Not to be too technical here. Bronze does not rust, but all metals oxidize (even stainless steel, aluminum and of course Bronze). Only metals with iron content do rust.

The "marking" problem is only an issue if you leave it unused for long periods of time. So really no issue at all and an easy one to prevent. And if it were to mark, a few passes on a piece of scrap and that layer is gone.

The 4 vs 4-1/2... 4-1/2 is actually the only Lie Nielsen bench plane I have (I have others but not bench planes) and I love it.

I did get the high angle frog, but if this is going to be your most used smoother, I would recommend you also get the standard angle frog. The high angle frog makes it just a little harder when pushing the plane. And in a lot of woods (regular non figured stuff), probably the ones most people work with the most, the high angle does not make a difference in the finish, just in the pushing.

just my $0.02

/p

Joel Goodman
02-18-2008, 11:38 PM
My thought was that the #4 might be easier to push as the blade is narrower - don't know if anyone with the HA frog in both can confirm this.

Thanks

Frank Stolten
02-19-2008, 2:57 AM
I can't answer that question directly as I have both a LN 4 and 4 1/2, both of them iron. I lucked out and bought them used - though they look brand new - and would have taken them in either bronze or iron. I keep thinking I should sell one of them because it seems a bit of a luxury to keep both but I can't part with either one. I prefer the #4 just because it's a little lighter and is perfect for most of what I use it for. Both have standard angle frogs and I haven't had any problems with difficult wood as long as the blade is well honed and the mouth tight. While the body is iron, the frog and lever cap are bronze so it has a nice look to it. Rust is absolutely no problem, a little wax or camellia oil keeps them well protected.

If at all possible, I'd suggest trying to get your hands on at least one of them to get a feel for the weight and how they balance in your hand. Your profile doesn't state where you live but the Woodcraft stores carry them plus L-N has a booth at most of the woodworking shows. Additionally, L-N has hand tool shows they sponsor in various parts of the country, check their web site for dates and location. I know they'll be in Oakland, CA on Feb. 22/23.

David Marcus Brown
02-20-2008, 11:06 AM
I have a LN no4 iron and a LN no4-1/2 iron (and a LN no4-1/2 bronze). If I were choosing a smoother, I'd choose the no4-1/2. That's the one that I reach for when I need a smoother. My no4 gets used when I need to smooth a smaller piece or when I'm doing "rough smoothing," the smoothing you do before your final smoothing. ;)

Frank Stolten
02-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Joel,

I sent you a PM.