PDA

View Full Version : Perfect timing

TYLER WOOD
02-18-2008, 3:10 PM
I am actually in the planning stages of a new shop. I do turning mostly excluviely. I do have a table saw and some other f-work tools. But they really sit around collecting sanding dust and bowl blanks.

My question is, for a new shop what or what company would you recommend for a prefab shop building. I am either looking at a metal building or some other quickly built system for the DIY type person. Looking to be around 25x25 maybe slightly larger. I have a garage to store my house and car tools so really this is only a man cave/wood turning shop. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

James Rambo
02-18-2008, 5:16 PM
My younger brother built one of these building. After cement slab was finished the building was up in a couple of days with 3 or 4 helpers. ( the building was 30' by 40'.
americansteelspan.com

John Fricke
02-18-2008, 6:38 PM
I bought a Rigid steel building online a year ago. The shipping took a kittle longer than expected but other than that I am well satisfied with quality and ease of construction. The building was shipped from Texas so that would save you on freight. Mine is 35 x 56 and cost around 12K delivered . I bought my overhead doors locally.

Dave Lessley
02-19-2008, 3:27 PM
I'm in a simular situation except I already have a 24x30 steel pole building. My biggest complaint is the sweating. I live in the Northwest and condensation is a problem. constantly chasing rust. Even when using Boeshield etc. Depending where you are located insulation could be a consideration.

I'm actually going to tear mine down and stick build a new one. That is another story and another post.

TYLER WOOD
02-19-2008, 3:28 PM
uhhhhhh if humidity gets above 5% here I will throw a party. I think I'm safe from high humidity.:D

Richard M. Wolfe
02-19-2008, 4:43 PM
Hey, Tyler, I'm a lot closer to you and we are in the latter stages of getting a fair size shop set up (40'x60'). We just got it insulated. Heating and cooling, yes, but it was also practically raining inside the shop. Water dripping off the ceiling onto workpieces or planed lumber is not a pretty sight.

Nancy Laird
02-19-2008, 4:58 PM
Tyler, General Steel makes a nice pre-fab building with lots of room for personalization.

Nancy

Alan Schell
02-21-2008, 1:16 PM
My wife and I recently put together a 24x48 kit manufactured by Versatube. It was purchased through our local Lowes. Other than the slab, we pretty much did everything else ourselves. I did have to put an 8' extension on my lift bar. I guess the trusses would have been impossible for the two of us without the tractor.