PDA

View Full Version : IRC Codes for Stairs

Mark Peltier
02-18-2008, 3:09 PM
Hi all,

Just an off the wall question....Has anyone heard of Exception #2 in the ORC code book regarding the maximum width a hand rail can be???

Thanks in advance....

M

Richard Wolf
02-18-2008, 5:04 PM
I have never seen exception #2 regarding maximum rail width. Handrail codes require a max width of 2 5/8". Keep in mind this is for handrails, not guard rails for balconies. You could use a wider rail on the balcony if you wish. If you would like to use a wider stair rail, you could still meet code it you hang a code compliant handrail on the wall side of the staircase.
If you have seen an "exception #2" to rail width, please post a link to it.

Richard

Eric Parham
02-18-2008, 5:46 PM
You could try asking you local guy. He should be able to tell you if and why he will or will not allow it.

Bob Wilkerson
02-18-2008, 7:28 PM
You might take a look at the following:
IRC Visual Guide to Stair Codes (http://www.axiominspection.com/documents/StairCodes.pdf)
Next problem is getting an inspector to realize the variation that is acceptable... Additionally, local codes may vary.

FWIW, in cases where we had a homeowner who insisted on a non-compliant rail we'd attach a compliant rail to the balusters to get inspected. This has always bothered me as everyone, including the inspector, knew that the temp rail was coming down as soon as he left.

Bob

jud dinsmore
02-18-2008, 10:08 PM
ditto the comments about asking your local inspector. while our area's building departments have adopted the irc, there exist all kinds of additions and exceptions to this code. i think every state has a state-wide uniform building code that addresses these varations. for example, the irc clearly states that the maximum thread height is 7 3/4". however, our localities allow us to build them to a max of 8 1/4".

it also depends on where the handrail is located. most deck handrails are, in my experience, overlooked completely. it also will depend on the "abilities" of the inspector who performs the inspection.

good luck,

jud