PDA

View Full Version : The death of Krylon?

Scott Shepherd
02-18-2008, 12:21 PM
I spent 1 1/2 hours this morning going from store to store to store trying to find Krylon in silver. Not chrome, just plain old silver.

Krylon used to be everywhere, now I'm finding it no where.

Around here, it's been confined to Craft stores. Krylon is owned by Sherwinn Williams, and I even went there. What I found was the same in all the places I went.

All of them used to have a large variety of Krylon. With every visit I am finding the same thing- less Krylon. Now we're down to about 10 colors in the craft stores, and even Sherwinn Williams Paint only had about that many.

I'm afraid the death of Krylon is near. The signs can't be good, when 5 years ago you were in every Lowes, Home Depot, and hardware store, now you're only selling 10 pastel colors in craft stores.

Anyone else having the same experience?

Mike Null
02-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Scott

I've found a good selection at K-Mart but don't recall if they had silver.

I use a lot of aluminum and have a tough time finding just the right stuff. I now buy most of what I need at Michael's.

I've also found Dutch Boy acrylics to work well.

Scott Shepherd
02-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Yup, tried K-Mart too. They used to have about every Krylon color made, I think. I went in this morning and the shelves were almost empty like they hadn't restocked it in ages. I looked at the stickers on the shelves and the colors were very limited there as well.

I haven't tried dutch boy, I'll give it a try. I think I ended up with a Fusion product called "Shimmer" or "Silver Shimmer" or something like that.

I'm painting acrylic, so we're back to the same old issues of other paints tend to craze the edges. I'll give Dutch Boy a try and see how that works, thanks!

Joe Pelonio
02-18-2008, 1:17 PM
All our Kmarts have closed, but here the best selection is at Fred Myer stores, also pretty good at some of the smaller chain hardware stores like Tru Value
and some of the craft stores.

The borgs only have Rustoleum and "house" brands.

Scott Challoner
02-18-2008, 4:10 PM
The largest selection of Krylon/Fusion I've found is at Wal-Mart.

Mike Null
02-18-2008, 4:35 PM
Scott

I got the Dutch Boy at Sears.

James Jaragosky
02-18-2008, 11:01 PM
http://www.krylon.com/main/locator.cfm
here is a link to a store locater for krylon

Scott Shepherd
02-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks James, that's how I found the places I went to. But they are all carrying less and less of the products, sorry to say.