PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Design FORUM!

Aaron Koehl
02-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Creekers,

I have created a new forum to house Shop Building questions--

1. Shop Layout
2. Electrical Questions
3. Tooling
4. Stocking
5. #Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask..

This forum is the first of several initiatives coming down the pipe!

Enjoy!

Matt Crew
02-18-2008, 1:20 PM
Is this open to all, or just contributers?
Doesn't really matter, just curious.
Thanks

gary Zimmel
02-18-2008, 1:29 PM
This should be a pretty cool forum.

I hope we see pictures of some well set up shops.

Always gives me ideas what I can do next in mine...

Mike Cutler
02-18-2008, 1:44 PM
Thank you Aaron.

Rob Damon
02-18-2008, 2:01 PM
Thanks, just what the doctor order, since I am in the early, early stages of setting up a home workshop.

Aaron, by the way, noticed you work at W&M. You don't happen to work at the Hugh Jones Data center do you? I have done some electrical design work there with Scott F.

Rob

ROY DICK
02-18-2008, 2:16 PM
Aaron this forum is getting better all the time.

Thanks to all for their hard work. :D

Roy

Aaron Koehl
02-18-2008, 3:14 PM
Thanks, just what the doctor order, since I am in the early, early stages of setting up a home workshop.

Aaron, by the way, noticed you work at W&M. You don't happen to work at the Hugh Jones Data center do you? I have done some electrical design work there with Scott F.

Rob
Rob,

I work in a different area of IT- Enterprise Information Systems, so, I do work indirectly with Scott. Funny character! Part of our department is in Jones Hall, though I am in another complex.

Aaron Koehl
02-18-2008, 3:18 PM
Open to all!

Lori Kleinberg
02-19-2008, 12:09 PM
I think this is a great new forum :cool:. I love looking at other peoples shops.
Thanks Aaron.

Mark Hulette
02-19-2008, 2:05 PM
Great idea that's time is definitely come!

I thought that we should have a "Shops" section here and guess what... here it is!

Thanks!

Jim O'Dell
02-20-2008, 3:48 PM
Should we submit our shop threads from the woodworking power tool forum to be moved here? Might make more sense to new people coming in. Jim.

Keith Outten
02-21-2008, 6:23 AM
Jim,

You can submit links to any thread that is workshop related to me and i will move the as soon as I can find the time. Send me a PM with the links.

I moved most of the links i could find back to the beginning of October to help get the new Foruim started.

Don Bullock
02-24-2008, 9:23 AM
Aaron & Keith,
This is fantastic. As one who is still dreaming of being able to set up a dedicated shop I'm sure that I'll find this forum very valuable in planning that "future" shop. Thank you.

Jim C Bradley
03-18-2008, 1:29 AM
Excelent! Need I say more?

Like everyone else (well it seems like everyone else) I am trying to get a shop the way I want it.

Enjoy,

Jim

Jim Ciesla
03-28-2008, 12:24 AM
This will be interesting as floor space is always at a preimum. I'm working with 13' x 9'. I always have to think vertical so as to not use up the floor space. Anyone else working with a shortage of square footage?
Jim

glenn bradley
03-28-2008, 4:10 AM
Anyone else working with a shortage of square footage?
Jim

You're kidding, right? :D

Victor Villar
04-10-2008, 1:14 PM
I'd like some suggestions as to the layout and machinery in my new shop. I'm putting in a Garage and shop which measures 19x28 with a half bath and utility sink at one end. I have a workbench, table saw, miter saw, compressor, shop vacuum, benchtop sander and grinder but would like to get a drill press, band saw, and sander (plus any other suggestions) the rest of my tools are hand tools (power saw, drill, router, sander). Most of my woodworking has been fairly rough pieces (shelving units, picnic tables, sheds etc) but I would really like to get more into furniture making.

Any suggestions on power requirements would be great.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hank Ciesla
06-22-2008, 7:37 PM
Well Jim if you'd move back to NY maybe we could set up a great shop together - sort of like click & clack the tappet brothers on NPR.

Yeah he's my brother & I miss him!

Hank Ciesla :)

Jerry McEwen
07-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Hello,

This is my first day as a member, and am excited about this "Workshop Design Form". I'm in the process of building a new 22 X 22 shop, and looking for ideas on lighting it and heating it. I live in Oregon, so the winters are mild. I welcome any ideas.

Thanks,

Jerry:D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Jerry,

There was an article in Jan/Feb 2002 FWW written by Jack L. Lindsey, a member here. The name of the article is Lighting for the Workshop. You purchase the article at FWW. I paid IIRC $7.00. Worth every penny! He guides you through the different types of fluorescents, the different type bulbs...how much light you need depending on your age...Yup. Over 40 he recommends twice as much light. He elaborates on the different types of ballasts, bulb color. He takes into consideration the ceiling height and the work surfact height. I used the article to design the lighting in my new shop. Everyone who comes in is amazed...bright and no shadows.

BTW............Welcome to the Creek!

Jose Antonio Contreras
07-24-2008, 8:40 AM
As I dream about builidng my workshop, I've visited restore wher I found lots of used flourexcent fixtures, sole newer than others, but so many I figure I might get a great deal. Am retiring and need to scrimp somewhere!

Any thoughts...good or bad idea. As to older...yup...62...and what I can't see or hear, I forget.

Jerry McEwen
07-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Ken,

Thanks for the information, I will look into the article you mentioned. Is the FWW here in the "Creek"?

Jerry

Ken Fitzgerald
07-25-2008, 12:16 AM
FWW is Fine Wood Working...Taunton Press. I'll see if I can find a link. If I do I'll post it here Jerry.

Found it:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/Workshop/WorkshopPDF.aspx?id=2771

Jerry McEwen
07-25-2008, 2:18 AM
Jerry,

There was an article in Jan/Feb 2002 FWW written by Jack L. Lindsey, a member here. The name of the article is Lighting for the Workshop. You purchase the article at FWW. I paid IIRC $7.00. Worth every penny! He guides you through the different types of fluorescents, the different type bulbs...how much light you need depending on your age...Yup. Over 40 he recommends twice as much light. He elaborates on the different types of ballasts, bulb color. He takes into consideration the ceiling height and the work surfact height. I used the article to design the lighting in my new shop. Everyone who comes in is amazed...bright and no shadows.

BTW............Welcome to the Creek!
Hey Ken,

Thanks for the link. I just placed my order, and will hold off buying any fixtures till I read what Jack has to say. I do believe I found a great source of knowledge here at the Creek, I hope I can help someone in the future.

Jerry

Steven Storey
07-27-2008, 8:29 PM
I am building a new shop. 12' x 20' new building for wood working only.
I would like some input on flooring. Hardwood ? Vinyl ?. Also lighting ideas, looks like T-12 is going away. Anyone used T-8 fluorescents ? Do they put enought light? ( dual 8' or Quad 4' )
-ss-

Ken Fitzgerald
07-27-2008, 9:41 PM
Steven,

Follow the link above and buy that article. My whole shop is lighted by T-8 fixtures and bulbs. My shop is 24'x30' and I installed 11 4-bulb T-8 fixtures. Plenty of light and no shadows.

Jim O'Dell
09-13-2008, 10:09 PM
I agree with Ken. T-8 is the way to go. More light with less power consumption. I love my T-8s. In my 20 X 24 shop, I have planned for a total of 28 bulbs. I'm working with 22 right now until I can afford the rest of the fixtures, and it's not bad. My adjacent assembly/finish room (any notice I didn't say slash doggy quarantine room??:D) that's 12 X 14 will get 8 more bulbs. Just not sure yet if they will be 4 two bulb fixtures, or 2 four bulb units. Jim.