PDA

View Full Version : Steel City DC

John Hixon
02-18-2008, 11:45 AM
I decided to go with the Steel City DC, 1 HP, Model 65110.

From what I could see, looking at specs, this seemed right to me. The filter bag that comes with it is 1 micron, and the 700 CFM and 8.5 Inches of Water for Static pressure sounds to be pretty good.

I have a shopsmith with a bunch of attachments and a Power Miter saw, so I will be using this as a portable system.

The machine was $210 plus about $14 S&H, so the price was right.

As with other "Far Eastern" instructions, the fastener information wasn't very accurate, but there was only one kind, either with or without nuts. Pretty simple. (Except for the four acorn nuts for the casters.) The motor part was hard to mount with the casters on the floor so I turned it all upside down with the motor on the bench and that was a lot easier.

It doesn't seem to awfully noisy, but with the machine and DC running, ear protection seems appropriate. It is about average for a shopvac, quieter that the old ones, more like the new ones.

Fit and finish is just fine.

I still need to build something to make the collection point more useful, maybe something like the "Dust Canon" I have seen somewhere and haven't been able to find since. At least I have to neck down the hose to get more velocity at the entrance.