PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Makeover Home Edition 2/17/08

Bob Moyer
02-18-2008, 10:48 AM
If anyone recorded this, would it be possible for you to provide a copy to me.

Thanks

Stephen Beckham
02-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Bob,

Are you talking about the one for the young fella in Louisville? I'll check with my buddy - it was a pretty big thing for this area. Very touching story.... I didn't realize it was last night they revealed it. It made the local news pretty big when they finished, but due to the delay in release of the show, no one has been allowed in the home. The statement was "if you normally visited us before the remodel, come on by - it you didn't wait till Spring to come visit..."

What an inspiration this young man has been for our youth. And what an inspiration this father has been.

Steve

Bob Moyer
02-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Bob,

Are you talking about the one for the young fella in Louisville? I'll check with my buddy - it was a pretty big thing for this area. Very touching story.... I didn't realize it was last night they revealed it. It made the local news pretty big when they finished, but due to the delay in release of the show, no one has been allowed in the home. The statement was "if you normally visited us before the remodel, come on by - it you didn't wait till Spring to come visit..."

What an inspiration this young man has been for our youth. And what an inspiration this father has been.

Steve

Yes, that is the episode, he truly is an amazing young man, very talented and very profound. When asked about his disability, he remarked, (sorry if not exactly word for word); I do not have a disabiltiy but it is more an ability. Being blind allows him to see people on the inside - not the outside.

I want to share this with the youth in our church.

Thanks.

David Duke
02-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Bob, my wife has it recorded on TIVO, I may be able to get you a copy of it on VHS, but you can see the episode here http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/landing let me know if you want me to get her to make a tape for you.

Jim O'Dell
02-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Bob,

Steve

You mean they did all this work in 1 week, but it took X # of months to get it on the air??? :eek::rolleyes:
I usually don't watch this show, but have watched the last 2 weeks. The one last night had my wife tearing up (she is a private music teacher), but the one last week had me wiping my eyes and really choked up. Both very deserving familys, and very inspirational. Jim.

Bob Moyer
02-18-2008, 1:22 PM
Bob, my wife has it recorded on TIVO, I may be able to get you a copy of it on VHS, but you can see the episode here http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/landing let me know if you want me to get her to make a tape for you.

That would be great, I want to share this with some of the youth in our youth group who have a tendency to judge others by their appearances.

Jason Christenson
02-19-2008, 10:59 AM
You mean they did all this work in 1 week, but it took X # of months to get it on the air??? :eek::rolleyes:

I helped out with the episode they shot here in Lincoln a couple of years ago. It's amazing how fast you can get a house up when money is no object. It's also amazing how few of the people who help out for the week remain fans of the show. That being said, I would definitely do it again.

Jason

Bob Moyer
02-19-2008, 11:12 AM
I helped out with the episode they shot here in Lincoln a couple of years ago. It's amazing how fast you can get a house up when money is no object. It's also amazing how few of the people who help out for the week remain fans of the show. That being said, I would definitely do it again.

Jason

Why do people get turned off by the show?:confused:

Jim O'Dell
02-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Actually it's amazing how they can get the inspectors on board to keep everything running smoothly instead of waiting!! :eek::eek: :D I'd like to see the inspectors explain why the normal job has to be bogged down. Jim.

Craig D Peltier
02-19-2008, 11:33 AM
I want thats kids CD, he was good. At the end he sang that song "Believe" I heard a slight Elton John tone to it.

Jason Christenson
02-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Why do people get turned off by the show?:confused:

I think it's mostly that they are surprised by how little actual work is done by the cast, especially Ty. I can't remember who all of the designers were for the episode in Lincoln, but I do remember hearing for weeks after it was done that Paul was the only one who did any actual work. He was the only one that anyone was proud to say that they knew.

Ty was only here for part of two or maybe three days. At the reveal the crowd could be heard chanting "Ty wasn't here. Ty wasn't here."

On the other hand the people behind the scenes, the production people that we worked with to get our part of the job done, are probably the hardest working people I have ever met.

Jason

Bob Moyer
02-19-2008, 11:46 AM

I realize I can see it on the website, but I would like a copy to show to the kids in the youth group at church; particularly his comment where he mentioned his blindness as an ability vs. a disability.

Brian Elfert
02-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Actually it's amazing how they can get the inspectors on board to keep everything running smoothly instead of waiting!! :eek::eek: :D I'd like to see the inspectors explain why the normal job has to be bogged down. Jim.

I would think a big criteria on who gets selected is the willingness of the city to support the project with fast track inspections and the like.

I'm sure the show pays for inspectors to be on the site basically 24x7.

John Fricke
02-19-2008, 12:28 PM
There have been a lot of inspirational stories on this series. My question is how do these houses hold up over time. Building houses on fresh foundations. Do these people in need have the funds to adequately maintain the house, pay the utilities and the often high tech gadgetry. It seems they could help a lot more people with simpler cheaper designs but I imagine that wouldn't make for good TV.

Brian Elfert
02-19-2008, 12:46 PM
The reason Ty is not onsite every day is the show is often doing two homes at once these days and he has to split time between the two. This is also a big part of the reason that each show has a different group of designers. I have noticed that the show has been new every week for a good six weeks now and there are at least two more new shows scheduled. It is unusual for any show to go so long without a rerun, but I suspect ABC ordered extra shows due to the writer's strike.

I hope Ty is very well compensated as I think it would suck flying back and forth between job sites all the time.

I think anyone would be naive to think the designers do much real work on the show. At least the producers no longer pretend the designers are doing work they didn't really do. The designers used to sit around a table and sketch out a rough house plan when in reality the blueprints are done weeks in advance. Ty also used to make stupid phone calls to supposedly order up stuff like a prefab house. There is no way a prefab house gets delivered overnight. The house was certainly ordered in advance.

I talked briefly with a builder who did the house locally. The builder does the house for free. I didn't have time to ask about materials, but I am assuming those are all donated or paid by the show. I couldn't imagine the builder being asked to supply materials for free too.

Jason Christenson
02-19-2008, 2:47 PM
I couldn't imagine the builder being asked to supply materials for free too.

If I remember correctly, the builder who built the home here not only donated the materials, but also paid off the mortgage on the old house.

Jason

Jason Christenson
02-19-2008, 2:51 PM
It seems they could help a lot more people with simpler cheaper designs but I imagine that wouldn't make for good TV.

I think another reason some people don't like the show is that they mistake it for a charity and then disagree with the people that they choose to help and the way they choose to help them. Make no mistake, EMHE is a money making endeavor that just happens to help a few people out in the process.

I have no real problem with the show or it's fans, I just got such a large helping of phoniness during that week that I can't really stomach watching it anymore. However, like I said, if they came back to town I would jump at the chance to do it again. (The company I work for packed up and moved out the entire contents of the old house.)

Jason

Joe Chritz
02-19-2008, 3:00 PM
I'm with Jason. If the show was a charity then I would be upset because for the amount of money used it could be spread out to help 10 times the people, if not more.

Fact is the show is a business, designed to make money and I assume it does that well or it wouldn't still be on the air. If it happens to help a few people along the way then bonus. It is more than can be said for most other business ventures.

ETA: In my professional life I get to see lots of people at their worst so I have a different perspective on people in need.

Joe

Stephen Beckham
02-19-2008, 3:15 PM

Jim.... Inspectors.... Kentucky.... PLEASE.....:D

jeremy levine
02-21-2008, 3:31 PM
There have been a lot of inspirational stories on this series. My question is how do these houses hold up over time. Building houses on fresh foundations. .....
I've often thought about this, also the plaster and paint jobs. Some of the project have huge slabs ( or basements ) .

Jason Christenson
02-21-2008, 4:22 PM
Somebody pays a lot of money for concrete that sets up in a hurry. At least that's what they did here.

Jason

Bob Moyer
02-29-2008, 8:21 AM
Huge thanks to David Duke for sending me a copy. :D

scott schoenbaechler
02-29-2008, 12:42 PM
It is amazing what they can do. I work for the company that supplied the Lumber, Trusses and wall panels on this job. The Builder is a customer of ours. We also supplied doors as well. So if you have any questions about it, I can try to answer them.