PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
02-18-2008, 10:28 AM
18 Feb 2008
Good Morning to all of you.

I finished up an 80 hour week of oncall duty at the day job and could have worked more, but fortunately...my team does have people that work odd hours and was able to hand various critical issues to them. I can deal with the long hours ok, it's just the all night working I can't take any more.

Terry Hatfield and family came by Sunday afternoon for a visit and it was SURE nice to see them again. Great people they are and wonderful friends. I was sure glad that I was able to break from work and spend that time with them.

I did spend a little shop time on Saturday night. Mark Cothren has a buddy of his that is making bows for his archery hobby and needed some engineered wood machined. So they came by and we got that done for them. I was glad to visit with Mark and his buddy (shoot, can't remember his name now) for a bit.

Today, the LOML has a few things she needs me to get done for her. So you know what I'll be doing today.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

JayStPeter
02-18-2008, 10:41 AM
My wife went for a girls weekend, so I played with the kids most of the weekend. I managed to sneak down to the shop a couple times and slather a little finish and rout the miter slot extensions in my outfeed table. So that sucker is done.
During the project I realized my stock of screws was low, so I placed a pretty good sized order to McFeelys last week and received it this week. My hardware storage is not up to the task of handling all the new sizes I decided to get. The 40 drawer plastic cabinets I got at the borg a few years ago only came with 3 drawer dividers for 40 large drawers ... sheesh. So I ordered a bunch of Plano 3700 series boxes. Next job is to build a quick cabinet to hold them and reorg all my hardware. I ordered them last week from an Amazon affiliate. I got the typical order confirmation from Amazon, but no estimate of if/when they shipped and when I will get them. I've got all the materials waiting, but don't want to build until I have them in hand.

Karl Laustrup
02-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Morning Dennis.

Well, a lot of you have the day off for President's Day. We're, all four of us, home today also. First each of us is in different stages of flu/cold. Granddaughter brought it with her from a visit last weekend. LOML was next and she is starting to feel a little better now. My mom started feeling ill Saturday. Schools are closed today due to snow and LOML took the day off due to sickness and snow.

We had 12 inches of snow Thursday and another 12 inches yesterday. And it's still snowing. :( We've gathered another inch since I was out at 6 this morning to plow. It just doesn't seem to end.

Anyway, the only thing I've done over the weekend is move snow and take care of sick people. Now I think I'm in the first stages of it. :(

Hope everyone else had a great weekend. :)

Karl

Gary Keedwell
02-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Dennis...don't be in such a hurry...the week-end isn't over yet:p Hey Karl...don't the kids have today off for President's day?
I'm doing a tricky part of my Morris chair today. I have four through tenons from the legs to make. They go through the arm and they have to line up perfect....taking my time because they will stick out like a sore thumb if not right.

Gary

Steven Wilson
02-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Well, I replaced some lights in the shop, rough cut some leather, and sharpened some knives. It was fairly warm out there but I didn't want to start on anything because it's back to 0F for the rest of the week. Anyhow, made a couple of suede bags to store some fly fishing reels and tied a couple dozen more flies.

Dave Burris
02-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Between work and the kids I was able to spend a little time in the shop. I finally got the last part of my closet finished. I built a small hanging bookcase with adjustable shelves and got it hung. Now I'm ready to prime and paint everything. One closet down, one to go. I started the short ss top for the chest of drawers and got to thinking about the scrap ss and what could be done with it. After some thought I put together a couple of cutting boards for my wife. Other than that I watched a couple of races and kept up with the threads here. Good weekend by my standards.

David Duke
02-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Since the weather was lousy here Saturday and I wasn't able to finish spraying my cabinets, I did the tear-out of the existing pantry shelving. After I got the shelves out I had to widen the opening to accept the cabinets I have built, I had planned on this other wise I would of lost about 10" of storage space. Sunday I was able to finish the topcoat on my cabinet cases and doors, we also went to my mom's for lunch with the entire family for "February" birthdays; we have so many birthdays in this month we normally have a group party since there are no young ones to celebrate.

Bob Rufener
02-18-2008, 12:10 PM
I had a ligament torn off in my right index finger. Operation to put a new one in from a piece of tendon in my forearm. Hand is in a splint. Spent much of the weekend learning how to wipe with my left hand. Not easy! Try it some time.

Joe Mioux
02-18-2008, 12:39 PM
absolutely nothing ww'g related.

Got busy at work and spent all day Sat and half day Sunday working on funeral stuff. Got home, and watched the race activities.

It actually felt good to just go down in the basement, turn off the lights, turn the surround sound on and watch the big race on the big screen.

No one bothered me the entire afternoon. It felt good. I am still recuperating from last week's work schedule.

joe

Greg Just
02-18-2008, 1:21 PM
Not a lot accomplished this past w/e. All I manged to do was put up some much needed shelving in my workshop. :mad:

Dave Burris
02-18-2008, 1:34 PM
Hey Greg ... A blown day in the shop is better than a good day at work!

Ben Cadotte
02-18-2008, 1:54 PM
Only thing I got done in the shop was some day dreaming at work. In CA right now. I did order 2 new Milwaukee routers and a Delta Mortiser. :D That took the pain away for a little while. But not for long. :( Just hoping a panel saw stays on sale till the end of the month. If it is that will be on order as well. :)

gary Zimmel
02-18-2008, 2:04 PM
Did a little more work on my new miter station. This project is going to take a long time but should have a ton of storage.

After a horse show this weekend have to take the truck and trailer to get washed. The show was great, my wife won the $2000.00 cutting class.
With entry fees and hauling costs she pretty much broke even!

This evening hope to get some time to clean the shop and glue up one more door.

Al Willits
02-18-2008, 2:18 PM
Spent most the weekend in the garage working on the TV stand, the upper molding looked a Little plain so I tried my hand at inlaying a few accents in it, hoping it turns out.
Weather was great here and the wife and I spent Friday evening at Cabella's buying her a spring jacket and a couple of spinning rods and reels to match.
So other than Cabella's and a couple of times hitting the local restaurants, I played in the garage all weekend...:D

Karl, I hope our weather was heading your way, we got about a inch last night and decent, but cooler weather now.

Al

Joe Pelonio
02-18-2008, 2:34 PM
I went to my parent's, a 3 hour trip, and did some pruning and other work around the place, plus had a good visit with them. This trip I took along the digital camera and took some pics along the way.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj259/bisjoe/?action=view&current=d92bde29.pbw

Eric Haycraft
02-18-2008, 3:06 PM
On friday night, I reground the arbor on my table saw to remove runout. The rest of the weekend was spent upgrading the lighting and wiring in the shop. It is amazing the difference a little more light does.

Joe D'Attilio
02-18-2008, 3:18 PM
So how was my weekend?

Funny story...or NOT

Mine started out uneventful - woke up at 7:00am, had a day of tool shopping planned (private tool sale, Woodcraft and p/u my drill press) till my mom called and advised me my Pop was on his way (he's a 67 yo country "mouse" - 2 hour drive)

No biggie went to a sale I'd sen on Craigslist...not a big score but I did get a Defiance 1220(i think) adjustable mouth block plane - $5

GOt back to the house at 10:00 and decided to install the garbage disposal I picked up about 2 months ago. Again no big deal - hit up the blue borg grabbed a new sink and might as well get a faucet too(you can't have a nncie new disposal with an old ugly sink, and you certainly don't isntall an old leaky faucet on a brand new shiny stainless steel sink.

Pulled out receptacle to add an additional box and switch.

NOT A CHANCE* concrete and lack of tools..the fun begins...

Go to plan B, we pulled out the dishwasher and tapped the electricity there, installed a dark brown switch and plate in the dark cabinetry-for that icognito look(barely visible upon a glance).

Turned the water off, ripped out the lime green cast sink and presto.

Install the faucet and garbage disposal to the sink and refit- perfect fit, no problems yet.

Fun begins...the trap is too high for the disposal and the feed lines to the faucet are too short.

Off to the borg again for a new trap and flex faucet connections.

Ok no biggie make the connections, test run...small leak - need to replace the gasket and the Garbage disposal is ringing my ears something fierce of metal grinding and klunking*

Dad: "Did you remove the knockout"
Me: "Those things just fall out"

Reinstall the dishwasher. oh snap copper feed pipe gets 2 nice kinks in it.

Return the trap to the borg on trip # 3 and pick up new flex connections.

Go at it again...dishwasher discharge tube too small for hookup to disposal...yep you guessed it off to the borg for trip #4 to get a ertrofit for the disposal and discharge tube.

Thinknig to myself: "I sure don't remember the garbage disposal being that noisy"

13 hours later, everything put back together and tested...

Dad: "What's wrong"
Me: "Gee dad, that sure sounds alot noisier than I remember"...

...5 minutes of a little fishing around with my hand and flashlight and the knock out from the discharge tube was removed.
The not-so-serene, but much tolerable whispery whine of the disposal ends the day with a sense of accomplishment.

Read over the new Woodcraft catalog beleiving if I was 10 again and it was the Sears Wishbook, 2 weeks before Xmas...

"Hhit the sack" at 12 midnight with a stowaway on our couch...

:o

*commence hysterical laughter now*

Rich Engelhardt
02-18-2008, 5:22 PM
Hello,
While it isn't woodworking - the only wood involved was 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood blocks used as spacers - I did manage to replace our built in over range microwave - in about 2 hours, this morning.

David Seng
02-18-2008, 6:34 PM
I was working with wood, but it wasn't woodworking. I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel. Spent the weekend re-framing the walls so that we can have a pair of recessed niches in the shower, totally tore out and reframed the plumbing wall, and tore out a window, framed it for its new larger replacement and framed up for the recessed medicine cabinet that I built.

A lot of fussy demo and rebuilding - amazing how long it takes compared to doing new work. Hope to get to making up the doors for the vanity and medicine cabinet this week. Next on the list is rewiring and finishing the plumbing rough-in.

Steve Knowlton
02-18-2008, 6:59 PM
I had a long weekend. Went wood cutting on sat. morn, Then out to shop to turn some bowls. Sun went to church, then home to more wood turning. I was hard to accomplish much. I had a lot on my mind. One of my employees took his life friday. It just breaks my heart to see people so depressed that they see no other way out.

Jim Becker
02-18-2008, 7:31 PM
I looked at some woodworking this weekend on Saturday...but didn't do any...

George Bregar
02-18-2008, 8:25 PM
Not woodworking, but drywalled the whole downstairs of my lake home. Some because of the freeze up, rest just to remodel. Had to haul 30 sheets of 1/2" 4x12's down from the garage. Glad it's done. Hiring a taper :D

Matt Meiser
02-18-2008, 9:41 PM
Spent the whole weekend working on finishing up my parents' bathroom remodel, which got the last of the finishing touches tonight despite the fact I probably should have gone to bed instead. But its DONE!

Tyler Howell
02-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Another trip up North hauling stuff. Had sailing friends visit. Really cold on Fri and Mon, but the in between was great.
Good food, a walk in the woods. Got a massage!!!
Met with the folks at my future hang out.
I hope to be offering sailing instruction as well as some pointers on WW at formally organized classes.
12 more days and I'm out of here!!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Saturday we were supposed to go to a company sponsored getaway......Stayed home and nursed an abcessed tooth.

Bill Wyko
02-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Well, I'm almost done with the never ending Humidor. A little more cedar and some more finish and I'll be posting it.:D