PDA

View Full Version : Remodelling Question

Erik Oerter
02-18-2008, 10:27 AM
What is the best way to cut and remove the 1.5" inch wide strip of wood flooring that is left at the junction of the floor and toe plate of the wall after I cut the rest with a circular saw? My circular saw's base is 1.5" wide on the side that is closest to the blade.

I'd rather not drop $300 on a Multi Master saw right now.

Thanks.

Grant Morris
02-18-2008, 10:36 AM
What material is the subfloor made of? A hammer and chisel work for the grain that runs parallel with the walls but the grain that runs perpendicular to the walls won't be fun to get out.

Erik Oerter
02-18-2008, 10:48 AM
The remaining flooring is hardwood strip flooring, with the strips and grain running straight out of the wall.

David Seng
02-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Did you remove the base and shoe molding? Unless this wall was constructed as part of a remodel and wrongly built right on top of the hardwood flooring, removal of the shoe and base should expose the board ends.

If not (and the wall truly was built right over the flooring) - remove the shoe and base and then use a reciprocating saw. Variable speed makes it easier to control. Cut as close to the wall as possible - don't be afraid to bend the blade a bit - you're not woodworking per se. This is close tolerance demolition. Easy does it, but git'er done.

A jamb saw turned on it's side can work too, but is MUCH more dangerous.

Loren Hedahl
02-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Sometimes I use the old adage, "If at first you don't succeed, hire it done."

I know, that's no fun, can be quite expensive and entirely runs against the grain of a do-it-yourselfer.