PDA

View Full Version : Hd plywood

William Nimmo
02-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Hd near me has gone domestic with it's birch and oak ply. They are also stocking 1/2 inch now. Prices on 3/4 went from 42 to 64 dollars . Bought 2 sheets for a shop cabinet. Much better quality and worth the price difference. No voids, no warping. The birch had one side that was perfect and the other had a few blemishes.

Greg Muller
02-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Congrats William,

About time they saw the light!!
Questions-

where are you?
How were the edges?
Is it undersized thickness still (most are...)?

thanks,
Greg

Peter Quadarella
02-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Wow, borg plywood with no gaps? That's awesome. I wonder if this is a local thing only or if it will spread.

William Nimmo
02-18-2008, 8:00 AM
I am on Long Island NY
the edges were perfect
and yes, it is undersized by about 1/16th.
this is not that exciting to me as I am about 1/2 hour away from this place.
www.getwood.com

keith ouellette
02-18-2008, 8:06 AM
I'm on east coast Florida and noticed the HD birch ply price shoot up over $60 but haven't purchased it yet to see a quality change. I didn't see 1/2 birch though.

Greg Robinson
02-19-2008, 2:14 PM
William,
Would you mind sharing which Home Depot you saw this Plywood at. I'm on Long Island too and was in the Deer Park Home D. this morning and they only had the usual stuff. I've used Robert's Plywood on several occasions and their stuff can't be beat, but sometimes Home Depot is just easier. Thanks for your help...Greg

William Nimmo
02-19-2008, 7:17 PM
Greg,
That was Farmingdale hd on 110.
I agree Hd is a quick stop. I also get Hd Gift certiicates with my Thank you points on my credit card. It is nice to be able to buy some half way decent stuff at Hd for a change.
Bill

Charles Wiggins
02-19-2008, 8:34 PM
Hd near me has gone domestic with it's birch and oak ply. They are also stocking 1/2 inch now. Prices on 3/4 went from 42 to 64 dollars . Bought 2 sheets for a shop cabinet. Much better quality and worth the price difference. No voids, no warping. The birch had one side that was perfect and the other had a few blemishes.

So I take it that it does NOT sport the tell-tale "Made in China"?

Greg Robinson
02-20-2008, 5:10 PM
I stopped by Home D. today and was impressed with their selection of plywoods. Their nicer plywoods were made by Columbia Forest Products. In addition to the Birch plywood, they had Red Oak ply, Cherry veneer ply, Maple ply, and prefinished Birch. From what I could see they plywood did not have voids and seemed to be pretty straight. I ended up picking up a few sheets of the Birch ply. for some upcoming projects. Hopefully HD is turning over a new leaf... I guess time will tell.

Rich Engelhardt
02-20-2008, 5:21 PM
Hello,
With high hopes I stopped in HD (Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio) this A.M. to, among other things, check out the plywood.
Worse than ever!:(
The good news is their stock seemed very low.

I'm actually hoping the low stock is an indication they are going to replace it with better material.
Time will tell.

Fred Voorhees
02-20-2008, 5:43 PM
I am definitely going to have to inquire at my local HD about any impending changes in their plywood stock.

jim sauterer
02-20-2008, 5:51 PM
hd in north olmsted ohio still has the chinese junk.