PDA

View Full Version : Help with 6" Flexible tubing

Steve Roxberg
02-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I am connecting my jointer with a short section of 6" flex. I have run spiral to about two feet away and into the spiral have put a pipe coupling that fits into the sprial on one end, and was going to put the flex over the other end.

It's nice and flat, smaller than the pipe itself and for the life of me I can't get the flex over the coupling.

I was going to use a Bessey clamp, or quick grip clamp as a spreader and they are both larger that the internal diamerter of the spiral.

Is there a trick that I'm missing?

Is there a fitting that I need?

Can anyone give me another way to stretch the flex out a little>

Steve Clardy
02-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Bucket of very hot water. Dunk the end of hose it there for a bit.

May/ may not work.

Steve knight
02-17-2008, 10:24 PM
you may have to crimp he pipe end a bit.

Steve Roxberg
02-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Don't tell my wife but her hair dryer seemed to do the job just fine.

Thought I would update everyone.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-27-2008, 10:26 PM
You might try a little talcum or baby powder. Just shake a little on the inside of the tubing and try sliding it on.

Steve Roxberg
02-27-2008, 10:30 PM
You might try a little talcum or baby powder. Just shake a little on the inside of the tubing and try sliding it on.

Great Ken, now I have to steal my wife's hair dryer, and her baby powder! :)

That is a good idea though.

I've been following your Dust Collection install are you using any flex? I have very short runs about three feet, but that's it.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Yes Steve, I'm running some flex.

5' of 5" at the lathe.......

5' of 5" at the center drop with a metal quick disconnect. This will hook to the 5-to-4 reducer on the b/s, t/s, planer, and jointer.

5' of 4" and 5' of 3" for my sliding compound miter saw.

BTW....we use baby powder as a lubricant when pulling cables through very tight runs in equipment. It works like a charm!