PDA

View Full Version : Reaction to Walnut?

Sean Kinn
02-17-2008, 9:49 PM
I spent most of the last two days working with walnut for a silverware chest I'm making. I've never worked with walnut before, but I know I'm not allergic to walnuts. I don't know if "reaction" is the right word, but most of my finger tips appear to have purplish blotches under the skin. Almost like I have fingerpring ink on them or something. I've tried scrubbin gand it doesn't come off. The only real chemical I used to day was simple green to clean the protective grease off of a new Dewalt dado set, and I've never had a reaction to simple green in the past (at least that I noticed).

Anyone ever have anything like this happen? Like I said, I feel fine, have no rashes or any other issues. I'm still searching around the internet, but haven't found much yet.

Peter Quinn
02-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Yup...every time I touch it. Happens to me with white oak and mahagony too, though in different colors. Tried diluted bleach? Works for me sort of.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-17-2008, 10:06 PM
I haven't worked with walnut for 20+ years but I know from having an english walnut tree in my backyard.....the nut shells turn my skin almost black and it takes forever to wear off.

Larry Marley
02-17-2008, 10:10 PM
try lemon juice.

Derek Hansen
02-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Larry is right - lemon juice takes it right off.

Richard M. Wolfe
02-17-2008, 11:50 PM
It's from tannins in the wood. I get black fingertips if I work with oak several hours. I never experimented with anything to get rid of it....just let it wear off. Around here people who pick up pecans in the fall have blackened fingers from tannins in the pecan husks.....same as walnuts.

John Thompson
02-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Tannins as mentioned... and not a good idea to use walnut shaving in plant beds or dump in a compost pile. Got some toxic goodies in their also from what I hear that don't agree with plants.

Sarge..

Rich Dorffer
02-18-2008, 12:57 AM
I have been building a walnut crib and a walnut dresser/changing table for a few weeks now, the tips of my fingers are stained after each time I work on the projects.

The stains wear off in a day or so.

Regards,

Rich

Sean Kinn
02-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks fellas. This morning when my wife woke up she menioned that her hands used to turn black afetr picking up walnuts when she was a kid. I guess I vaguely remember this from a walnut tree at my grandparents old house after she mentioned it. I just wouldn't have thought the wood would have the same affect. Makes sense though.

Thanks.

jacques nolin
02-18-2008, 9:39 PM
i dont know if it applies to humans but black walnut saw dust or shavings will cause horses to founder so i am always careful when i use it just in case

Harold Beck
02-18-2008, 9:46 PM
The tannins in the walnut will make my fingers black almost any time I work with the dust. It is much worse if I am sharpening a chisel or plane blade on the diamond plate and sweat a little at the same time. I just crush a lemon or orange wedge in your hands and rinse under running water and it comes right off.

I was complaining in a hand tool class one day about the stains from the walnut and steel filings and the master teaching the class just reached into his iced tea and handed me the lemon. I looked suitably confused and he said to wipe my hands - came right off. I have used it ever since.

HB

Jesse Cloud
02-18-2008, 9:47 PM
i dont know if it applies to humans but black walnut saw dust or shavings will cause horses to founder so i am always careful when i use it just in case
Lots of folk are allergic to walnut dust. I understand it can creep up on you, too. Work for years with walnut with no problem, then one day BAM - you sneezing and sniffling.
I keep walnut out of the firewood pile and don't use shavings for compost or stall dressing. Probably overcautious, but why take a chance!

Irvin Cooper
02-18-2008, 10:10 PM
I have the same problem, and asked a similar question a few years back. Try the lemon juice. It works for me also.

Irv

John Shuk
02-19-2008, 8:57 AM
I can get headaches from black walnut if I don't use a mask.