PDA

View Full Version : rand lathes?

matt nunn
02-17-2008, 8:54 PM
I am looking for a lathe to start turning pens on. I have a full sized woodcraft that was my Grandfathers and it works fine. I just want to set up a corner in my basement and not spend all my time in my work shop (this will greatly enhance my wifes mood!!!). I have found these rand lathes from 8-12 in for around $100. Just wondering if they were worth a darn or not. Ive not found one locally (Atlanta, GA area) to inspect. Yes, I know....what a dumb idea not knowing the product. Im just wondering if anyone has used these. I looked around in here and dont see any reference to them. Any input?

robert hainstock
02-17-2008, 9:04 PM
However, I've turned stuff with a drill in hand. I odesn't take much maching to turn a pen. The beauty is in the craftsmanship. Good luck!:)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2008, 11:21 PM
My cousin bought one and let's just say you get what you pay for. He sold it and bought a Jet 1014.

ryan kelley
02-17-2008, 11:36 PM
I bought one, wish I had just saved the money. Nothing but problems, the faceplate was off centered and after 2 more were sent to me with the same problem I gave up. Customer services was anything but service. Save your money and buy from a reputable manufacturer.

matt nunn
02-18-2008, 9:09 PM
Well thats kinda what I figured. Im really leaning heavily on a Jet. Theyre just good quality and wont destroy my wallet! Thanks for the advice :)

Gene Michael
02-18-2008, 11:01 PM
look on e-bay under 'wood lathes'. sometimes they have some very nice older lathes, and every so often, you'll find one for sale close enough to pick up yourself (shipping costs can be astronomical for heavy tools). good luck!

Steve Busey
02-19-2008, 7:49 AM
Matt, you could also check out the craigslist.com site for Atlanta, look under "tools" and do a search on "lathe".

Wally Wenzel
02-19-2008, 9:44 PM
Menards has a Wilton for about 100$ i tried one for pens, works good.
Wally