PDA

View Full Version : U.P. 200 Sled Dog Race

Steve Schlumpf
02-17-2008, 7:25 PM
I thought everyone here might enjoy this as it is something a little different!

Every year - around the middle of February - Marquette, MI hosts the U.P. 200 sled dog race. We have mushers from all over the country complete in a 200+ mile race that starts on a Friday evening and ends on the following Sunday morning. This race is one of the qualifiers for the famed Iditarod Sled Dog Race held in Alaska.

I thought it would be nice to share a couple of pictures of this year’s winner - Ed Stielstra of Nature's Kennel, McMillan, MI. My wife, Colleen and I hiked over to the old railroad track (abandoned years ago) and waited for the dog sled teams as they passed our house on the way to the finish line in Marquette, MI.

81928 81929 81930 81931

I am not affliated with the U.P. Sled Dog Race in any way - for more information – check out the U.P. 200 web site: http://www.up200.org/ (http://www.up200.org/)

Ben Cadotte
02-18-2008, 4:20 PM
I went to school up there (NMU). Worked at the ACE there in Harvey, and 41 Lumber close to the old airport. Grew up in Ann Arbor area down south. Now live in Maine and is very close to same lifestyle as the UP. Just losbster instead of pasties. :D

David G Baker
02-18-2008, 6:12 PM
Steve,
When I was working in TV I got an order from the Sports Department to record the Iditarod off of Satellite. I had to ask several people what the heck I was supposed to record because I had never heard of the Iditarod. I was very surprised to find out that it was a dog sled race.
Several years later my Grandson received a copy of Balto. I gained a better understanding of why the Iditarod exists. I must have watched the movie 20 times with him.
Thanks for letting me know about the UP200

Mike Cutler
02-18-2008, 6:54 PM
Very cool Steve. (No pun intended). Those are some happy looking dogs.

What's with the orange boots? protection, or a safety measure? Just a curiosity on my part.

Steve Schlumpf
02-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Glad everyone enjoyed the photos!

Mike - the boots are simply to protect the feet. I've seen a lot of different colors but this was my first hunter's orange.

Larry James
02-19-2008, 1:25 PM
Hi Steve, I live in Marquette a few blocks from the UP 200 starting gate.

As I'm sure you know the dogs are amazing - nothing like you would expect. They are small and lean, and so wired at the starting gate that they have a hard time holding them back. All they want to do is run. Very exciting watching them take off. Fortunately, we are having a more typical UP witner this year and the race trail was reported to be in very good condition. It is volunteers that make a complicated 240 mile race through a lot of wild country and dangerous conditions happen.

For you non-Yoopers, Marquette is in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, or UP. We're actually north of Green Bay, WI on the shore of Lake Superior. Likely as many Packer fans here as Lions fans.

Larry

Dave Verstraete
02-19-2008, 2:11 PM
Steve
I'll be passing thru Harvey on the way to Michigamme for a quilt retreat that my wife attends on March 13. I hope to do a little snowmobiling. Save me some snow, eh!

Mike Sheppard
02-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Steve
He and 3 other Dog Drivers from Michigan are entered in the Iditarod this year. You can get the day by day from Cabelas site, it starts March 3rd I think.
Larry
You are right they live to run.
Mike

http://www.cabelasiditarod.com/coverage_2004/2004_current_order.html

Bob Swenson
02-20-2008, 3:53 PM
The tree huggers in New Jersey banned Sled Dog Teams.
Cruelty to animals and all that hog wash.
“Little Sue” wanted to be on a team. Going to have to move!
You guys know anything about Miami? :rolleyes:

David G Baker
02-20-2008, 5:19 PM
Doesn't Florida have "gator" races?

Dave Verstraete
02-20-2008, 9:54 PM
Hmm....Gators + Dogs = well fed gators

How did we get from the U.P. to Florida, Eh???