PDA

View Full Version : Finished New Router Table

Paul Kinneberg
02-17-2008, 6:48 PM
Attached are pictures of the router table I just finished. It is the Norm Abrams NYW deluxe router table. I changed the drawer fronts to match the rest of the cabinets in my shop other wise pretty much followed his plans. I used a Jointech digital lift and my PC7518 router.

keith ouellette
02-17-2008, 6:54 PM
great looking cabinet. Did you just get the measured drawing or the complete plans and how were they to follow?

Paul Kinneberg
02-17-2008, 7:02 PM
I did get the plans and they were pretty good, easy to follow but there were a few things you had to guess at no big issues though.

Steven J Corpstein
02-17-2008, 7:19 PM
I did get the plans and they were pretty good, easy to follow but there were a few things you had to guess at no big issues though.

Is it MDF and laminate and how thick is your banding? I want to make a new top for mine and want to radius the banding like you did. Very nice looking cabinet and top.

gary Zimmel
02-17-2008, 7:36 PM
Paul

Sweet looking router cabinet. You did a great job.

Someday I would like to put my Jessem setup in a cabinet like that.

Thanks for the pics.

Paul Kinneberg
02-17-2008, 7:48 PM
Steven it is a layer of 3/4" MDF and a layer of 1/2" MDF glued and screwed together with 1 1/4" maple banding. You build the yop add the banding then laminate and finnish be routing the edge. FYI you want to flush trim the edge first then add the bevel with a second pass.

Jim Becker
02-17-2008, 7:49 PM
Yup, that looks like an excellent rendition of the Norm Abram design!

Gary Keedwell
02-17-2008, 7:51 PM
Nice...really nice....

:rolleyes: I think I'm going down to clean my shop now:o

Gary

Bill Huber
02-17-2008, 8:11 PM
Great looking table, I really like the high fence, that would really be nice at times.

Great work.

Steven Bolton
02-17-2008, 9:00 PM
Very impressive. I once had a kitchen made by a fellow from Zimmerman, Minnesota. His name was Olaf Netteberg. He has moved since.

Did you use yellow glue on the MDF top? Did you remove the screws once it was dry?

Thanks

Steve Bolton

Paul Kinneberg
02-17-2008, 10:26 PM
I did use yellow glue and no I didn't remove the screws. I'm curious why would you remove the screws and also is there a better glue for mdf? I have to admit I haven't worked with MDF much.

Steven Bolton
02-17-2008, 10:35 PM
I think yellow glue would probably be fine. I thought of contact cement. I am sure thy yellow glue is very strong.

How did you clamp it?

Steve Bolton
Nevis, Minnesota

Bruce Page
02-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Beautiful piece of furniture!

Greg Hines, MD
02-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Very nice looking. Norm makes for a hell of a good looking plan, and I like the changes you made.

Doc

Sean Troy
02-17-2008, 10:52 PM
That is one sweet setup ! May I ask how much materials cost for the complete project? thanks, Sean

Paul Kinneberg
02-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Sean about $700 including the lift, hardware (including Rockler kit), and the mobile base. Steven the screws hold the MDF together and I used jet clamps on the banding. I also used biscuits for alignment of the edge banding.

Sean Troy
02-18-2008, 7:31 AM
Sean about $700 including the lift, hardware (including Rockler kit), and the mobile base. Steven the screws hold the MDF together and I used jet clamps on the banding. I also used biscuits for alignment of the edge banding.
Money well spent

Tim Malyszko
02-18-2008, 7:34 AM
Excellent router table. I've been using mine for over a year now and it has been the best addition to my shop. Norm really got it right when he designed this thing.

I like the personal touches you added to it.

Nice Setup!!!

Grant Davis
02-18-2008, 8:16 AM
That is one nice looking router table.

Steven Bolton
02-18-2008, 10:41 AM
That looks more like furniture than shop equipment. Excellent.

Steve Bolton

Chris Bruno
02-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Great Job Paul!!

I hope to start my NYW router table today...my plans showed up on Saturday.

Based on your experience, is there any area of the plans that I should be careful about?

Again, great job!
-Chris

Charles Wilson
02-18-2008, 4:44 PM
How difficult was it to make the table top? Anything that I should be aware of?

BTW - Hooray - my 400th post!

Thanks,
Chuck

tim harris
02-18-2008, 4:52 PM
That is one fine looking table Paul!
Thanks for sharing it with us.:rolleyes:
Could I ask you to take a few close ups of the adjustable fence? I am assuming that the left side is independent of the right. Also, why is the upper right drawer, or what looks like a drawer, slightly different than the others?

Thanks again!

Pete London
02-18-2008, 7:00 PM
Nice looking adaptation! Why is the upper left (upper right as looking at it) drawer missing the handle?

I'm not sure I follow how you did the top, it certainly looks fantastic however you did it. Your drawers are sweet as well.

Ben Cadotte
02-18-2008, 7:06 PM
Looks really good. I just about ordered the plans for it, at the point of adding credit card info. But I thought to myself that I have to build a new table saw extension table. So ended up building a 3' long extension and mounting a router plate in the middle. Few things to do yet and it will be ready for work. Yours look very well made. Congrats.

Pete London
02-18-2008, 7:22 PM
Dah...me. On closer examination I figured it must be the electrical connections.

Paul Kinneberg
02-18-2008, 7:22 PM
Chris - my only tip would be when you route the T slots in the fence pieces keep your orientation correct they are on the back on the 2 bottom pieces and on the front on the top. My top was made twice :)

Charles - The biggest tip on the top is draw out fully where everything is going so you don't end up with a screw in your way. This step is worth the effort.

Pete - The top right is actually a dummy plate covering the electric run. I debated on putting a handle on it or not, still not sure I may add one.

Tim - here are some close ups of the fence the bottom pieces slide on t bolst the top is fixed for feather boards.

Jude Tuliszewski
02-18-2008, 7:56 PM
Great job....:D Looks like it could have come right out of the NYW.

Von Bickley
02-18-2008, 8:08 PM
Paul,

Great looking router table....:)

Steven Bolton
03-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Paul, do you like the mobile base you installed? What brand.

Thanks

Steve Bolton

Dick Rowe
03-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Great looking adaptation of the NYW design!

I built one several years ago, and one suggestion I would make for those considering building this unit would be to replace the 'captured' through slots / bolts that hold the fence to the top with pieces of T-Track that run all the way to the back of the top.

Doing this allows you to easily slide the fence on and off completely, without having to mess around with the bolts under the top.

Alison Gray
03-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Love the cabinet, great work! I want to build one myself soon.

Can you use the incra or jointech fence systems on it. Or are there other modifications you would have to make?

John Browne
03-09-2008, 1:22 AM
Great, great looking table! I'm hoping to build one like it sometime this year. Working on my basic skills to avoid screwing it up. Thanks for sharing--BTW I really like the radius corners.