PDA

View Full Version : Cultured Marble Source

Jack Harper
02-17-2008, 6:25 PM
Hello,

I am looking for a source for cultured marble. I would like to locate a manufacturer of it as I want thin but large pieces, 24"x30" or larger. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Luke Phillips
02-17-2008, 6:46 PM
Jack - check out this site for listings:
http://directory.surfacefabrication.com/buyersguide/Engineered_Stone___Quartz_Material/index.html

Jack Harper
02-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks Luke, I will look into those companies. I'm not sure what I am exactly looking for in this stone. I have seen art images on pure white semi-honed cultured marble such as the images offered by artfrommontana.com. The stone looks like it would be perfect to laser. It does not have a high sheen and is sort of velvety smooth similar to a honed surface.

Sandra Force
02-18-2008, 12:53 PM
I think that you are talking about some of the engraving on Corian. It is beautiful and backlights well. This type of engraving is going to take high power to do to much depth though and the darn stuff throws a lot of sparks. Check Corian on line, there are also a number of small businesses regionaly that pour cultured marble but the only way I know to find them is the yellow pages and home shows.:eek:

Jack Harper
02-18-2008, 1:58 PM
I think that you are talking about some of the engraving on Corian. It is beautiful and backlights well. This type of engraving is going to take high power to do to much depth though and the darn stuff throws a lot of sparks. Check Corian on line, there are also a number of small businesses regionaly that pour cultured marble but the only way I know to find them is the yellow pages and home shows.:eek:

Thanks Sandra. I actually own one of the art pieces from Montana Art. That is how I discovered it was not a normal stone. I checked out their website where they detail the process. For these pieces they create a reverse etching from an artists drawing and then pore marble slurry over it to create the etching. It is then colored for completion.

I have also found www.promopeddler.com that seem to sell something similar both blank and etched. Some of their smaller pieces could also be great to work with in a laser as they have some 3D elements to them to add to the etchings.

I think I will try the local pouring company and see if they can just make the sizes I want, up to 6'x10'. Thanks again for the tips.