PDA

View Full Version : North Bros 1545

Gary Herrmann
02-17-2008, 6:00 PM
Ironically, I wind up making a handle for a vintage drill before a chisel. Go figure.

I really like these multispeed North Bros multi-speed drills. I've got a little 1530 too. They work very nicely.

This one was pretty grungy and rusty. Cleaned it up a bit and turned the cherry handle this afternoon out of my pile of cutoffs for that bed I need to get back to. I think my wife wants to take it off and stain it so it matches. :rolleyes:

Tom Sontag
02-17-2008, 8:53 PM
She won't have to remove it to match it; just grab it with some greasy hands or rub in a little shoe polish. But why bother? In just a couple uses in my shop it'd look like hell in no time. So much easier - she would probably prefer that - let me know when I can pick it up.

Eli Gunnell
02-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Gary,
Could you give me any advice on cleaning up an old hand drill? I bought one over the weekend, and it has some stiff spots on every revolution. Is this the kind of thing which cleaning and oiling generally takes care of, or is it something inside bent or really misaligned? The drill is quite usable, but due to the sticking in the wheel, it feels like I am fighting it more than necessary. Any tips on dealing with this?
Thanks,
Eli

Gary Herrmann
02-18-2008, 3:28 AM
Eli, if a good cleaning and oiling doesn't take care of it, and you don't see any damaged or missing teeth - I imagine something could be bent out of alignment. Getting all the grunge out of the oil holes could take some doing. Maybe remove all the wooden parts and soak it in mineral spirits or kerosene?

If it's still sticking after you clean it up, post on this forum again, and hopefully some of the more experienced neanders can chime in. Pics will help.

Sorry I can't provide any clearer info than that.

Gary Herrmann
03-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Eli, after rehabbing another drill, I sent you PM with some ideas.