PDA

View Full Version : Question to the laser engravers here...

Rick Gifford
02-17-2008, 4:52 PM
I dont use the laser but man are they ever neat.

I am curious if when engraving on wood if the depth is fully controlled. Are you capable of say, engraving a childs face and cutting out intricate patterns (but not clear through) for inlay work?

I had an idea when doing some boxes to customize them with some laser engraving. Wondered what the limitations would be?

Scott Shepherd
02-17-2008, 5:25 PM
Not sure I fully understand what you're trying to do, but the answer, based on what I think you are trying to do is yes. The depth isn't controlled perfectly like a router would do, but more so based on the grain in the wood. It's burning the wood away, so the grain structure will allow it to burn easier in spots. Things like cherry do really nice, where as something like oak would give you a lot of varying depths. Having said that, those varying depths are fairly consistant. So all the high spots are about the same.

I've done some inlay work, in fact, just did some today, and the laser seems to be well suited for it.

Frank Corker
02-17-2008, 6:29 PM
Marquetry/Inlay work, yes you can. Search on either of those two words and you will see very good examples of it.

Rick Gifford
02-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the replies!