PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Cast Iron

Chris Padilla
03-10-2004, 5:59 PM
Okay Everyone,

I'd like to hear y'alls steps for polishing your cast iron tops to baby-butt smooth. I wanna see my ugly-mug in mine! :)

Please include topics about flattening high spots or even filling in low spots.

We have a good thread about precision straight-edges going right now. Obviosuly, you can use one to find high and low spots on your tops.

There is a good thread on how to clean rust off your top and keep it off (do a search). Basically, Boeshield's T-9 is the ultimate for rust-prevention and their Rust-Free is pretty decent for removing rust.

I plan to purchase Boeshield's T-9 and Rust-Free. Does the T-9 take away any of the slickness of the top? If so, what do you like to apply to get it back?

Thanks!

Dennis McDonaugh
03-10-2004, 6:10 PM
Chris, I used Boeshield T9 and didn't like it for the reason you asked about. It made the top sorta sticky. Not like glue sticky, but not as smooth as wax. I just use Johnson's paste wax once a month and have not had any problems with rust. Now that I think about it, maybe the boeshield under the wax is the reason I don't have rust...hmmmmm...

Chris Padilla
03-10-2004, 6:23 PM
Dennis,

Did you remove the T-9 before applying the paste wax or did you just put it right on it?

Tony Sade
03-10-2004, 6:30 PM
When it seems like time to rewax, I clean off any wax residue with mineral spirits, use WD-40 with a green scotch brite pad then dry off with shop towels, wipe on/wipe off Mothers Mag Alum. Polish, then put on two coats of Johnsons paste wax. Works for me.

I tried the T-9 and got a really sticky surface. I figured I had done something wrong but didn't bother to try again, since my usual routine works fine.

Kent Cori
03-10-2004, 6:39 PM
Chris,

I have used T-9 for a couple of years now on all my cast iron surfaces and some steel tools as well. I spay it on, let it sit for 3-5 minutes and wipe it off completely. I then let it dry over night and put a couple of coats of paste wax over it the next day. The paste wax adds the "slickness" that the T-9 lacks. The two coats are simply to make sure I don't miss a spot. I've had no rust in my hot, humid Florida garage workshop since I began using the T-9. I touch up the paste wax as needed and apply a whole new T-9/paste wax combo every 6 to 9 months.

Jeff Skory
03-10-2004, 10:16 PM
I just bought some T-9 a few days ago. Used their rust remover to get rid of some fingerprints shaped rust spots (really smelly stuff), and then applied the T-9.

I also am dissapointed in the fact that it is somewhat sticky and tends to hold onto dust. Can't just blow it off or casually wipe the dust off.

I used to just go over the tabletops with a crumpled piece of wax paper, but that didn't seem to help with the T-9.

I'll have to try the paste wax method.

Mike Kelly
03-11-2004, 9:46 AM
The March 2004 issue of Wood magazine had a convincing article showing that Boeshield T-9 to be the hands down champ in rust prevention. I suppose if you wanted the slicker surface, just apply wax over it. I have used wax for years, but now it will be on top of Boeshield.

As far as polishing cast iron, I guess you could, starting with about 220 grit and progressing to 1000 or so. It will be a little time consuming. I have seen some General and Powermatic tables that were real shiney when new. I had an old 1953 Delta that had a real smooth surface from use, but it wasn't shiney. Nice patina but couldn't use as a mirror.

Steven Wilson
03-11-2004, 10:15 AM
I spray a heavy coat of Boeshield and let it dry (no wipe down) when I want to protect the tool from rust (like during the spring snow melt when humidity goes crazy). When applied heavy it protects nicely but leaves the surface a gooey sticky mess. When applied lightly I find that Boeshield doesn't work as well a plain wax. As for shining up a table top, a right angle grinder and 3M surface conditioning disks (looks like the 3M nylon steel wool pads) works well. Just be carefull that you use a very fine grit or you risk damaging the top.

Donnie Raines
03-11-2004, 10:30 AM
I use T-9 also. What I find is this: The day after I have applied the protectant, the surfaces are indeed "sticky". However, if I simply wipe down the surface with a clean rag(no fluids of any type) the tackiness is gone and i have a nice smooth(..though not as smooth as wax) work surface. I have been very pleased with the product thus far.

DonnieR

Dennis McDonaugh
03-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Chris, I just put it on top of the Boeshield. I tried to wipe the sticky off, but it didn't seem to work very well. I haven't ever totally removed the wax/boeshield, I just put new over top of the old. Don't know what the consequences of that is, but I don't have any rust or staining.

Jay Goddard
03-11-2004, 1:26 PM
I also apply paste wax over the T-9. I have found a single application of T-9 sufficient to prevent rust for years, as long as I apply the paste wax as needed for slickness.

Boeshield also works great on keeping hand tools, vise parts, etc. rust free. Even in this humid state of South Carolina.

Jay

Michael Ballent
03-11-2004, 3:37 PM
My secret is to hit the top with t-9 and then spray on top-cote. The surface is very slick, but really do no have to worry too much about humidity in the desert :D

-Michael

Jim DeLaney
03-11-2004, 5:28 PM
Getting back to the initial question, which was about polisshing the Cast Iron, not protecting it - I used Wenol (brand name) metal polish and a random orbit sander with a scotchbrite pad on it to polish the tops of my TS and joiner. Both polished up very well. Not quite chrome-like, but still very shiny, and yes I can see my (albeit somewhat hazy) reflection in them.

After polishing, I used Topkote to preserve the shine. Minor blems get a localized re-polishing by hand.

Chris Padilla
03-11-2004, 7:16 PM
Thanks, Jim. Actually, I did make comments about both protecting and polishing but I'm patient! :D

I was thinking to just some old metal polish I might have lying around. I've used some car care stuff in the past and it worked okay. What color of the scotchbrite pad do you use? I have the grey, maroon, and white ones for my Makita ROS...I'll have to try them out. Thanks!

Jim DeLaney
03-11-2004, 9:32 PM
I was thinking to just some old metal polish I might have lying around. I've used some car care stuff in the past and it worked okay. What color of the scotchbrite pad do you use? I have the grey, maroon, and white ones for my Makita ROS...I'll have to try them out. Thanks!

I started with the green, then the maroon, and did the finish polishing with the white. BTW, any good metal polish should work. I had a quart can of the Wenol given to me by a friend who polished his airplane with it. SimiChrome, or Met-All, or even Brasso, ought to work just as well.