PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing outfeed table from Grizzly or Amazon

Don Morris
02-17-2008, 3:24 PM
When I made the switch from contractor saw to cabinet saw, my mobile workbench which I lovingly built to be my outfeed table in my small shop is now 1/2" too high. It's just become too much of a PITA and I've decided to finally pull the trigger on an outfeed table for my Grizzly 1023SL. I'm going with the HTC 37" one for it and sold through Amazon for $249.00 and through Grizzly for $299.00. As far as I can see there is no difference, other than Grizzly is making $50.00 as the middle man. Am I correct in this evaluation?

Jim Becker
02-17-2008, 3:29 PM
Isn't that the design with the rollers? Do you really want rollers? They can sometime cause material movement issues if not perfectly aligned or if your stock isn't perfectly flat, etc. If not, building your own outfeed solution makes more sense to me and is much more cost effective. (There is a free plan on my web site for the one I built for the cabinet saw I had in my shop for many years that features a 12" fixed section and a 36" fold-down section to accomodate mobility.

Jim Thiel
02-17-2008, 4:10 PM
...Do you really want rollers? They can sometime cause material movement issues if not perfectly aligned...

Truer words hath ne'er been spoken....or typed actually. I would suggest thinking longer and harder about those rollers. Now if they were roller balls....

I love HTC products and generally pimp them whenever possible, but they can't all be winners.

Jim

Don Morris
02-17-2008, 4:40 PM
Or...Plan B, build one like Jim Becker's. Looks like I may be doing another project. Thanks Jim, I did some reading of reviews on Amazon, I was aware about the "roller" issue and that didn't seem to be much of an issue in the reviews. I know Kelly Mehler doesn't recommend rollers in general in his Table Saw video either because of the same point. So, just to be on the safe side, off to buy more wood. Was really trying to save time. Shoulda known better.

Peter Quadarella
02-17-2008, 5:39 PM
Why not cut a half inch off the top or bottom of your workbench? Or make your cabinet saw a half inch higher. Yes, sometimes I'm lazy :)

Don Morris
02-17-2008, 7:38 PM
The botttom half is the mobile wheels. Replaceing them isn't that easy and it wouldn't roll very well with smaller wheels either and probably be too small then. That would be a real challenge to boot. Still wouldn't line up exactly right. The top half is 2" thick Maple strips, on the ends of which are mounted a couple vises. Another challenge I don't think I want to tackle.

Jim Becker
02-17-2008, 7:54 PM
The other downside to the roller style outfeed table is that you can't pile any junk on it. Err...use it for additional assembly space...LOL :D (Which seriously is something that many folks do find convenient)

Scott Donley
02-17-2008, 7:56 PM
Trim the legs ?

Peter Quinn
02-17-2008, 10:18 PM
One roller can mess up a cut, I can only imagine what a whole table of them would achieve. I vote make one. I did.