PDA

View Full Version : Long term storage of tools, best topcoat?

Kyle Stiefel
02-17-2008, 3:15 PM
Hello,

What would be the optimal topcoat on all the big steel tools of the shop left for long term storage (several years). I am thinking some kind of oil or what something like Bostick topcoat work?

They will be walled off in a garage which will now most likely be used as a garage. So cars will be parked, snow, rain etc. will get inside the environment now.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Noah Vig
02-17-2008, 3:36 PM
Grease for tops?

Tom Henderson2
02-17-2008, 4:40 PM
Hello,

What would be the optimal topcoat on all the big steel tools of the shop left for long term storage (several years). I am thinking some kind of oil or what something like Bostick topcoat work?

They will be walled off in a garage which will now most likely be used as a garage. So cars will be parked, snow, rain etc. will get inside the environment now.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

I don't think topcote is nearly heavy enough for long-term storage.

Cosmoline appears to be what what the manufacturers use; it is avialble online (a google search will find several vendors).

Boeshield, LPS3 and CRC Corrosion Shell are all candidates as well and are readily available online and elsewhere. These produce a fairly heavy, waxy film.

FWIW a friend of mine that was involved with corrosion-proofing carrier-based Navy ariplanes said they used CRC Corrosion Shell. I believe it is similar to Boeshield and LPS3 but I've never used it.

Whether any of these will survive *several years* without attention is an open question.

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA

A cosmoline source:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1134

A CRC Corrosion Shell source:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/crccorrosion.php

M Toupin
02-17-2008, 5:07 PM
When I was preparing for a 3 year stint in Germany an old timer told me to use shellac. I put a couple of heavy coats on all the exposed cast iron and steel. When I got them back out of storage alcohol cleaned everything back up with no damage to the painted surfaces. Nice part is it's clean and easy to handle. Grease and the like makes a heck of a mess and it's not very packing friendly.

Mike

Joe Chritz
02-17-2008, 6:49 PM
Ton beat me to it.

Rifles stored with cosmoline have lasted for decades with no corrosion. It is a pain to clean but when it has to stay for a while it is a good choice.

Wax works for the short term only but coupled with covers and periodic checks it could work out ok.

Joe

Steven Wilson
02-17-2008, 8:21 PM
Thick coat of Boeshield and a good cover should work. Better would be cosmoline. I'm trying some Amsoil HD Metal Protectant (similar to Cosmoline) on a couple of low value items to see how that works.

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-17-2008, 10:27 PM
The BEST thing I know of for LONG time Storage is a product made by L.P.S.It's their #1.

I believe that it is guarenteed against rust for 7 years!

I have used it to greaat success.

Bruce

Ben Cadotte
02-18-2008, 7:01 PM
LPS 3 or cosmoline will be good to use. Both can be had in spray cans or in regular gallon can form. We use LPS 3 on aircraft in areas not exposed to outside areas (lower cargo pits, wheel wells, etc). We get it in spray cans and by the gallon. Can use a bug sprayer to spray large areas (not that you need too). Either one will wook very well for years on a single coating.

John Newell
02-18-2008, 7:08 PM
A test, not exhaustive but informative:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=1&i=503