PDA

View Full Version : Found a SCORPION !

Scott Hubl
02-17-2008, 1:36 PM
Well I was looking for an arm braced forearm hollowing system and found one via the AAW forum.

Thanks to Ed Davidson (aka YoYoSpin):D

He had the Don Pencil Scorpion system that he bought 2 years ago and never used it, thought he would give larger HF turnings a try and just never did so.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/pencil.jpg

So I bought this for $140.00 including shipping from Ed.

He also said he would toss in some surprize Goodies for me too in the box.
I can't wait to give it a try.:D

I'm gonna add the "Stinger" from Dons "blem" section for about $50.00.;)

THANKS alot Ed.

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2008, 2:33 PM
Congrats Scott. Looks like a nice unit.

Scott Hubl
02-17-2008, 3:36 PM
Thanks Bernie,

I thought for sure someone HERE would have one they wanted to sell , with all the captive laser systems being bought.:eek:

I can't yet justify the extra cost until I have a few HF's under my belt. Get a feel for them and see if I can even do them! lol

The Stinger is smaller for smaller HF's and I can add it for just over 50 bucks from Don's "Blems" area.

Ed already sent me a UPS tracking # I should have it on the 21st.:D

Can't wait to give it a tryout.

Steve Schlumpf
02-17-2008, 4:56 PM
Congrats on your new hollowing system Scott! Hollow forms can be challenging at times but they are really a lot of fun! Enjoy your new tool and be sure to post when you get your first HF finished!

Scott Hubl
02-17-2008, 5:38 PM
Thanks Steve,
Gonna take alot of practice i'm sure and alot of sacrificed Blanks in the process.:eek:

Once I get one to finish I'll post pics.

Scott Donley
02-17-2008, 6:32 PM
Nice score ! If you want to make a quick 10 bucks let me know, I need to do the same thing.;)

Scott Hubl
02-17-2008, 7:30 PM
:eek: What by selling it?

No thanks, i'll be adding accessories to it SOON! lol

Now I need to find some larger chunks of wood for hollow forms.

This should be fun.:D

Brian McInturff
02-18-2008, 7:07 PM
Isn't that sacrilege to sell a turning tool:D. Honestly, I use my armbrace just as much as I do the captive system. You got a great deal Scott and you will be amazed at the difference between it and the Sorby hollow tool you were using. Now hurry up and get the Mustard you keep wanting:D:cool:

Scott Hubl
02-18-2008, 9:29 PM
YES it IS!

I'm getting closer, I got these TWO Powermatics today!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/power-pair.jpg

:cool:

Scott Donley
02-18-2008, 9:35 PM
Funny looking gloves :D

Derrell Clark
02-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Scott, you'll love this tool. I bought one a year ago from Don and never looked back. I started turning hollow forms right away and haven't lost one yet. One accessory you will want to get is a special tip for the straight tool bar. Don now makes a tip that fits into the straight bar that allows you to mount a rotating tool tip holder on the straight bar. Since the straight bar is more stable you can use the rotating tool bit to cut much of the inside of a hollow form without having to go to the curved bar. Check out his web page. I believe he shows a picture of the tip in the new tools section. Good luck with your new tool and have fun. It opened up a whole new world of turning for me.

Scott Hubl
02-18-2008, 10:53 PM
There T shirts you silly FOOL! LOL:p

I sure hope so Derrell,

I have these in my cart as we speak just waiting to find a forum coupon code for Don's stuff.

SCORPION INSERTS SET OF 4 1 SC130 UPS Ground -- Residential$29.95 $29.95DON PENCIL SCORPION STRAIGHT TOOL ADAPTOR 1 SC140 UPS Ground -- Residential$14.95 $14.95Stinger "second" or "blem" 1 ST100 BLEM UPS Ground -- Residential$51.95 $51.95Shipping & Handling:$13.93Grand Total: $110.78
:D