PDA

View Full Version : Jet Jointer/Planer update

Curt Harms
02-17-2008, 11:54 AM
I finally had time to do a temporary electrical hookup and got chip collection in place. You definitely NEED dust/chip collection. I messed with a few pieces, the widest of which was 11 1/4". I could not see any twist, warp or snipe on this piece after face jointing and planing. Power seems more than adequate with both the 11 1/4" phillipine mahogany and 8 1/2" ash. I measured the 11 1/4" piece with a digital caliper. The end was about .5830" on one edge, .5825" on the opposite edge. Several measurements along the length were within .001". I laid a 4' johnson level on the piece. a .0025" piece of paper would go under each end up to about 6", the same piece of paper would not go under the level along the rest of the length. This could be due to really needing one more face jointing pass, I'm not sure. This is wood, not turbine engine components so I think the tolerances are acceptable. Noise-it's certainly quieter than the Delta 22-580 benchtop planer when running empty and probably quieter when cutting. I'm sure a helical head would be quieter yet but a helical head is not available yet.

These measurements are after removing and reinstalling the jointer tables and with factory settings, no post purchase tweaking. I'm not about to mess with anything. I'm happy with the purchase:D. The weakest point is the jointer fence but I don't think it'll be a problem. I don't think I ever moved the fence of the 6" jointer I had off 90 degrees and that will likely be the case with this one as well.

HTH

Curt

Derek Hansen
02-17-2008, 1:00 PM
Thanks for the info - I'm hoping I can get a good price on one of these at the WW show in a few weeks.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-17-2008, 1:04 PM
Thanks Curt. I was waiting for that.

I'm glad you are pleased. It's quite an investment. Also, getting it into a basement shop would be a challenge for me.

I'm also hoping they offer the unit with indexable knives like the new Grizzly J/P. However, I hope they don't resurrect the old spiral knives that WMH used on their planers a few years ago.

Once again, thanks!
-Jeff :)

Eddie Darby
02-17-2008, 2:15 PM
Thanks for the review!:)

Did you take a fine cut for the last pass before measuring?

Was the set-up hard?

Jim Becker
02-17-2008, 3:36 PM
Sounds good so far, Curt!

Curt Harms
02-17-2008, 3:43 PM
Thanks for the review!:)

Did you take a fine cut for the last pass before measuring?

Was the set-up hard?
I didn't try too hard--the board is thin enough as it is. I figure if two boards can butt together with no light between them with very little pressure, that's pretty good.

Curt Harms
02-17-2008, 3:50 PM
The dust collection hood's opening is up for jointing and down for planing. There is a door in the hood that moves when the hood is moved from one operation to the other. Mine is a little stiff. If the door doesn't move, the planer chip collection is not what it should be. It's easy to move manually if need be, just have to remember to check it.

Donald Stanat
03-08-2008, 8:55 PM
Thanks for the info - I'm hoping I can get a good price on one of these at the WW show in a few weeks.

Any luck getting a good price? The best I've found is about $1892 including shipping and $1699 plus shipping.

Dpm

Jim Becker
03-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Donald, considering that the Euro versions cost twice that, under $2K is indeed a very good value, IMHO, for the Jet. Buy from the supplier you feel most comfortable with.

Steven DeMars
03-09-2008, 1:17 AM
Would appreciate any suggestions as to a good dealer I may want to deal with. You can post or PM me . . . . which ever you prefer . . .

More interested in a "Good Dealer" than a "Good Price" . . . :o

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Matt Meiser
03-09-2008, 9:32 AM
Where are you located? The $1895 price seems to be pretty common. If a local dealer was selling it at that price, that's probably where I'd be inclined to buy.

Richard Gonzalez
03-09-2008, 2:13 PM
I bought mine at Tool King in Denver. $1699 in store price, higher at their web site.

Richard

Steven DeMars
03-09-2008, 2:49 PM
Where are you located? The $1895 price seems to be pretty common. If a local dealer was selling it at that price, that's probably where I'd be inclined to buy.

Prairieville, Louisiana