PDA

View Full Version : Shelves for Planes

Richard Gillespie
03-10-2004, 4:07 PM
A few days ago I posted a thread about hand planing Ash shelves for my cast iron planes. I needed to get the planes off of plywood shelves I had made. Some of the planes continued to rust on the soles despite having a heavy coat of paste wax on them. I read on a forum that plywood exhales acidic moisture.

I thought I'd show you the shelves in place. It was amazing the tools I found when I re-arranged everything.

Eric Naessens
03-10-2004, 5:00 PM
Nice looking setup, Richard. That's quite a collection of tools you have there, too! :) Just out of curiousity, what finish did you put on?

Richard Gillespie
03-10-2004, 5:06 PM
Nice looking setup, Richard. That's quite a collection of tools you have there, too! :) Just out of curiousity, what finish did you put on?
Thank you, I used 2 coats of gloss varnish.

Ernie Miller Topeka
04-06-2004, 4:26 PM
It looks like you might have a few duplicates there you are not collecting are you? Nice shelf. So what is the next peice of shop furnature?

Dave Anderson NH
04-06-2004, 4:30 PM
Just remember to retract the irons before setting them down on the shelves. It's not good for either the cutting edge or the shelves to have them protruding.

Ernie Miller Topeka
04-08-2004, 3:18 PM
here are a couple pictures of how I store my planes. This first ine if for my wooden molding planes the other is of a shelf for the bench planes in the corner.

Richard Gillespie
04-08-2004, 9:26 PM
It looks like you might have a few duplicates there you are not collecting are you? Nice shelf. So what is the next piece of shop furniture?
Yes, there are a few duplicates on the shelf as well as still stored other locations in the shop since I don't have enough room on the shelves. I acquired a bad habit of bottom feeding on Ebay. Thought I might be able to tune a few and resell them for a profit. Didn't work out the way I thought but I have picked up several planes I really like and won't part with (the bottom two shelves).

I think I've broke the Ebay habit since I started going to TA (Tool Addiction) meetings.

Since you asked, I just finished making the drawers for the shop cabinets I started 4 years ago. The next thing on the list is the three pull out shelves and doors for the three remaining cabinets. As you can tell, I don't want to rush anything. That project has, however, been put on a back burner.

The youngest granddaughter is moving into her new home around the first of May and a duplicate bookcase to the one built for the oldest granddaughter has been promised.

Richard Gillespie
04-09-2004, 10:11 PM
here are a couple pictures of how I store my planes. This first ine if for my wooden molding planes the other is of a shelf for the bench planes in the corner.

That looks like a beautiful collection of woodies. I haven't worked up my courage to mess with most of mine yet. I did sharpen one up and flatten the sole to see it it wood work well trimming tenons. It did okay but my 78 did better.

I seem to be the only one in my peer group crazy enough to like the metal planes, let alone the woodies. I'd like to spend some time someday watching someone who knows what they are doing.

I sure wish PBS would put the Wood Wright Shop back on. Roy Underhill, in the past, showed working with hand planes. Seems to me, I remember him building one or two. Unfortunately, I wasn't as interested then.

Joel Moskowitz
04-09-2004, 11:33 PM
Just remember to retract the irons before setting them down on the shelves. It's not good for either the cutting edge or the shelves to have them protruding.

This of course greatly increases the time between grabbing a plane and using it. I keep all my planes set but I have a little shim running in the bottom of my tool box where I store everything to keep the blades from touching. THe shims are held in place with double stick tape in case I ever decide to shift the tools about to different places.

I highly recommend the shim and keeping the blades set. It means that I almost never adjust a plane iron and the tool is like a saw - ready to go with no setup when I need it.

Incidently I keep all my tools in closed chests. Not sure if it makes a difference but everything in my shop gets dusty and I think it's less maintancene - especially for little used tools if I can give them a little protection.

Ernie Miller Topeka
04-12-2004, 4:26 PM
I like the squed woodies alot more than the 78 once you learn how to set the blade they work much better. Most of these came from Tony across the pond I have my eye on some that will come up for auction on the 18th that is this sunday Wohoo