PDA

View Full Version : Sam Maloof

richard poitras
02-17-2008, 9:08 AM
For those of you who like Sam Maloof and his works the Woodworkingchannel has a great video on him, it is a 13 part series that’s about 6 hours long on how he makes his furniture I have watched 6 episodes so far it is pretty interesting …

john frank
02-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Sam at 93 still does great work. He truly is among the best of woodworkers. I just wish I had the woodworking channel, but then I'd get less done myself, so maybe its best I dont.

Brian Penning
02-17-2008, 10:19 AM
John»Not sure if you know but if you're online you can see it here...
http://www2.multicastmedia.com/CustomPages/WoodworkingChannel/TheWoodworkingChannelRelaunch.htm

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-17-2008, 10:36 AM
I saw Sam give a day long seminar in Worcester, MA a few years back. Remarkable to watch a man (of any age) wield such large pieces of timber, freehand (without any table support) through a bandsaw. Notice several of his fingers on one hand, where he ran the tips of them through a jointer. Yipes. Thanks for posting the links.

Jeff Craven
02-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks for posting. I watched 7 episodes yesterday and I'll probably watch the rest today.

Mark Singer
02-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Does Direct TV have the woodworking channel?

richard poitras
02-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Mark not sure if Direct TV does but if you go to the web site you can look at any of the ½ hour series (all 13 of them) any time you want ….

Mark Singer
02-18-2008, 1:51 PM
Mark not sure if Direct TV does but if you go to the web site you can look at any of the ½ hour series (all 13 of them) any time you want ….
Thanks,
I got it!
I have been out to see him several times, the last time was an all day class with my son Ryan. Sam
is wonderful in every way!

Jeff Craven
02-18-2008, 2:52 PM
I have a question on bandsaw safety:

It's neat the way that Sam uses the bandsaw to carve, but why does he keep saying, 'don't use the bandsaw the way I do.' Is it because you might slip and put your hand into the blade? Or because the blade might catch the wood and cause a problem? or both...

I don't own a band saw yet, but I want one.

john frank
02-18-2008, 3:19 PM
Brian; Thanks for the tip!

Mark Singer
02-18-2008, 3:24 PM
I have a question on bandsaw safety:

It's neat the way that Sam uses the bandsaw to carve, but why does he keep saying, 'don't use the bandsaw the way I do.' Is it because you might slip and put your hand into the blade? Or because the blade might catch the wood and cause a problem? or both...

I don't own a band saw yet, but I want one.

Sam Uses the bandsaw to carve with the work piece elevated and not supported on the table. The blade is pushing down and you must know what all the forces are when you do that. Sam has very strong hands and he is capable of doing this safely. It is not something to try without lots of experience.

Mark Singer
02-21-2008, 12:29 PM
I have watched several episodes and I think this is really an excellent series classes from Sam. You get to know the great man. You get to see techniques for shapping, joining wood, joinery etc. Truly worth watching !

Brian Fulkerson
02-21-2008, 12:32 PM
From what I understand, the woodworking channel is not on television. Only an online video broadcast. Why they call it a channel??...beats me!!

Bill Wyko
02-21-2008, 2:34 PM
I have to say, Sam is by far one of the greatest craftsmen on the planet. Creative, attention to detail and still kickin butt at 90.:eek:he seems like a real down to earth guy too. Thanks for posting the link about him. I've always wanted to know more about his work and him.

Jeff Craven
03-10-2008, 11:43 AM
I have been out to see him several times, the last time was an all day class with my son Ryan. Sam
is wonderful in every way!
Did you used to work for Sam Maloof? I've been reading 'The furniture of sam maloof' and it mentioned a Mark Singer that worked for him in 1974.

Richard Dragin
03-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Sam's work has definately inspired me, the first time I saw one of his rockers I felt it was the ultimate form of wood working. There are many other "ultimate" forms of woodworking I suppose, but for me it was his rocker.

As for the bandsaw, I think it is the least dangerous tool in the shop. Of course you could cut yourself on it but I have never heard of someone slicing off fingers on the bandsaw. Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't have a healthy respect for your bandsaw but I have been known to push the envelope when cutting compound curves.

Mark Singer
03-11-2008, 8:55 AM
Did you used to work for Sam Maloof? I've been reading 'The furniture of sam maloof' and it mentioned a Mark Singer that worked for him in 1974.

Jeff,
I have been asked that before. There is another Mark Singer that started a company called Giati. http://www.giati.com/

He worked for Sam for about a year and then started having pieces of patio furniture made in Indonesia. This turned into a large company. I am not sure if he still does any woodworking.I think he lives in Santa Barbara, Ca.

Ellen Benkin
03-11-2008, 10:29 AM
I was out at Sam's a couple of years ago and he had his finger tips bandaged. I asked what happened and he said "bandsaw". This from the master of using the bandsaw as a carving tool! Any tool can be dangerous if you get too casual. Even Sam warns, "don't try this at home".