PDA

View Full Version : Shop Built Mitre Gauge, now a Video....

Gord Graff
02-17-2008, 7:35 AM
Hi All,

It has been quite some time since I’ve been here and now that my obligations are all cleared up I plan on spending a lot more time here.

Do you remember back in August of 2005, I wrote a tutorial on constructing shop made mitre gauges, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22847
to this day I’ve received numerous emails concerning this posting.

Being the kind of woodworker that I am, I decided to redo the original but I’m now presenting it in a video format. So if you missed the original tutorial just sit back, relax and pass the popcorn.

The video is divided into two parts, Part 1 chronicles the construction of the mitre gauge bar, pivot point and threading the bar for a locking knob. Yes, we woodworkers can and do work successfully in metal……………………………………sometimes.

Part 2 of the video is the construction of the mitre gauge body, fence and how anyone can adjust a shop made mitre gauge or their own for that matter to one thousandth of an inch within their mitre slot. And for those who have a mitre gauge bar that is equipped with 3 set screws for achieving virtually no play in the mitre slot………………..check out the ending of the video.

Part 1 is found here. http://gordgraff.blip.tv/file/656417/

Part 2 is found here. http://gordgraff.blip.tv/#678818

I can’t tell you how good it is to be back.

All the best
Gord

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/gordgraff/Miter%20Gauge/MiterGauge1.jpg

Mike Cutler
02-17-2008, 8:14 AM
Nice seein' ya back Gord.

That's a nice video and site you have there. A lot of content in the video, well done.

I made one of your miters a year or so ago, as a dedicated box cutting jig for cutting beehive supers, it worked excellent, and my beekeeping friend still hasn't returned it. Which is okay, because my back can't take working the hives without complaining.

I saw you pop up on Lumberjocks, but it's good seeing you here also.

Mike

Gord Graff
02-17-2008, 9:33 AM
Hi Mike,

Thanks, it's good to be back.
I'm glad that you went ahead and built a miter gauge, sorry your friend hasn't returned it. Sounds like you and I share the same bad back.
I'm happy you liked the video, I hope it helps someone, somewhere.

All the best
Gord

Colin Giersberg
02-17-2008, 9:58 AM
I just finished watching the videos. Very informative.
Have you thought about doing other videos, because you do get the point across very well.

Regards, Colin

Gord Graff
02-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Hi Colin,

Thanks for you kind words.
More are on the way; in a very small way it's me giving back to woodworking what woodworking has given to me over the years.

All the best
Gord

Peter Stahl
02-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Great job on the videos Gord! Lots of good information there that can be used for make other shop jigs or projects.

Rick Levine
02-17-2008, 2:08 PM
Gord,

I have some very good miter gauges and really wasn't interested in building one but just for the fun of it I decided to watch the first video. Well, you hooked me. I ended up watching both of them. I'm still probably not going to build one but I did learn quite a bit of other valuable information on metal working and router modification I'll be able to apply to other projects. Thanks for the great job.

Gord Graff
02-17-2008, 3:52 PM
Hi All,

I'm so please that so many of you are getting "something" out of this video.
It was my goal from the very beginning to try and give everyone, something that they could use in their workshops.

Thank you one and all for all of your kind words and remember, share what you know.

All the best
Gord

keith ouellette
02-17-2008, 4:41 PM
Loved the video so much I almost want to ask for an autograph.

For those people who don't have Gord's machinist abilities (I'd love to know how many drill bits and how long it takes to drill through steel like that) Rockler had some great miter bars at less than $10 a piece with set screws and spring loaded bearings. I bought 4 and now I know what I'm gonna do with two of them.

Thanks Gord. Great video.

Jim Solomon
02-17-2008, 5:04 PM

For those people who don't have Gord's machinist abilities (I'd love to know how many drill bits and how long it takes to drill through steel like that) Rockler had some great miter bars at less than $10 a piece with set screws and spring loaded bearings. I bought 4 and now I know what I'm gonna do with two of them.

I can attest to the Rockler miter bars. A little while back they had a two for sale, I bought four of them for $24. Better than expected.
Like some I probably will not build the miter gauge, BUT, I immensley enjoyed the videos and like other projects, furniture ect. that I again probably would not build I really learn from the different techniques from gifted woodworkers such as you Gord. You would make a great teacher. Thank you for your contributions!
Jim

Gord Graff
02-17-2008, 5:12 PM

Howdy Keith,

Man, you can't beat a price like that, nice haul.

I drilled and tapped 4 miter bars using one drill bit. Drilling steel doesn't take as long as you might think, it has more to do with drill speed...................ask a machinist, those guys are a pretty good bunch.

Thanks for your kind words Keith.

All the best
Gord

Gord Graff
02-17-2008, 5:16 PM
I can attest to the Rockler miter bars. A little while back they had a two for sale, I bought four of them for $24. Better than expected.
Like some I probably will not build the miter gauge, BUT, I immensley enjoyed the videos and like other projects, furniture ect. that I again probably would not build I really learn from the different techniques from gifted woodworkers such as you Gord. You would make a great teacher. Thank you for your contributions!
Jim

Hi Jim,

Rockler has a great price on miter bars..................I'm tempted.

Thanks for your kind words, I really enjoy doing these videos and it's my hope that woodworkers will find value in them.

All the best
Gord