PDA

View Full Version : Sander type

Ed Gibbons
02-17-2008, 6:27 AM
A stationary sander would be handy in my shop. Any recommendations?
I have seen some combo units, disc and belt together. What do you think of a stand alone disc sander?
Thanks.

Alan Turner
02-17-2008, 6:57 AM
We have a 6x8Probably 10 years old. Works well. We run zirconia alumina 120 grit belts on it and they last well. Would be nice to have an oscilating one, but it is not in the budget at this time.

David Tiell
02-17-2008, 7:45 AM
A stationary sander would be handy in my shop. Any recommendations?
I have seen some combo units, disc and belt together. What do you think of a stand alone disc sander?
Thanks.
I've got the Jet 12" benchtop disc sander and I really like it. I also just picked up a used Jet floor model oscillating spindle sander, which I also like. There are times it would be nice to have a belt sander, but I use those two much more than I ever would a belt sander. Others here will have other recommendations, but in the end, the choice will be based on what you want and feel will be the most useful to you.

Dave

Rich Schneider
02-17-2008, 8:00 AM
A lot of what you ultimately choose will depend on what your going to use it for. For example, I have an old Yates American 16" double disc sander that I use almost exclusively for tapering strips to make tapered bent laminations. I also use it for dressing up pieces for segmented turnings. I know a couple of people who use theirs with a jig to precisely fit miters for frames and doors. I also have a combination Rockwell 6x48 belt and 10" (or 12"?) disc sander, but I don't find that I use the belt a whole lot. I probably would use the belt side of it more for edge sanding of small doors or frames, but I have a big edge belt sander for that and numerous other tasks. The other issue I have with my Rockwell combination machine is the speed at which everything turns. It is really high/fast compared to my other sanders which has gotten me into trouble sometimes due to how fast it can remove material.

Jim Becker
02-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Ed...what are you going to use the sander for? Specifically? That's important relative to your choice.

I bought a very nice 12" disk/6"x48" belt combo sander a few years back. (Grizzly G1276 1750 RPM) It's a great machine. But I've only ever used the disk once (and that was purely for convenience so I didn't have to move the cart to get to the belt) and I've also found that the belt is too small and in the wrong orientation for what turns out to be my real needs...sanding edges. There is a lesson to be learned there... ;)

My next stationary sander purchase will be an edge sander...someday.