PDA

View Full Version : Question on proper name of furniture type

Andy Pratt
02-17-2008, 2:08 AM
This may seem like a stupid question, but I haven't found an answer through any easy means so I figured I would ask you guys.

If you have a tall, narrow, shallow piece of furniture with three sides enclosed, an overhanging table-top, open in the front with two shelves, is it a table, cabinet or something else?

Specifically, the dimensions are 36"HX11"DX16"W with shelves 11" and 27" below the table top. Basicaly, I'm looking for the proper way to describe the piece of furniture that I'm building right now. Not hung up on it, but figured as a point of professionalism I should know one way or the other. Designed as an entry table for phone/wallet/keys, phonebook etc. storage underneath.

Thanks for the help.

Andy

Jim Becker
02-17-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure you need a "name" for it, but practically speaking it's a table/desk. Be sure that you have proper support at the floor to give balance since your table top will over-hang somewhat (and also needs support); or, if it's physically attached to the wall as a "built-in", be sure that it's secured well and that you provide appropriate support to the front of the cantilevered top.

Paul Girouard
02-17-2008, 11:01 AM
I'd say it's a hall / couch table . If you can't sit at it , with your legs under it , it can't be a desk. The shelf , it would seem , would prevent that.

So given that I'd go with hall table .

Richard M. Wolfe
02-17-2008, 11:41 AM
I think you just named it yourself. "Designed as an entry table......"

I imagine that about every item of woodwork that's possible to build has been built over the years with a multitude of names. The one that comes to mind most often is "mule......something or other" as in mule chest, the mule being a hybrid.

Practically speaking, as Jim said, if it's very shallow and has a considerable overhang make sure you have provision to keep it from tipping over.

Ron Dunn
02-17-2008, 6:29 PM
I just can't visualise it.

Do you have a diagram or something?

Andy Pratt
02-18-2008, 1:09 AM
here's a picture of it in progress, add in the two previously mentioned shelves and that's what it will look like when it's done. Overhang is very small (maybe 1") so it shouldn't be an issue. Hall table sounds decent, or maybe I'll just stick with entry table. Sounds like the consensus is that it's not a cabinet though, does a cabinet have to have some sort of a closed front, or be wall mounted? I know this is all nitpicking, but I'm curious.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Andy

Ron Dunn
02-18-2008, 1:23 AM
There have been things like that owned by a few generations of my family. We've always called them "hall stand".

Sam Yerardi
02-18-2008, 7:46 AM
I would call it a hall stand or hall table. I wouldn't call it a desk because that implies it is intended to be used for desk-type functions, writing, etc. If I were describing it to someone over the phone and they hadn't ever seen a picture of it, the word desk would conjure up images other than what it is.