PDA

View Full Version : Tuning up my 36" Oliver BS

Steve Rozmiarek
02-16-2008, 11:23 PM
I have a 36" Oliver bandsaw, that doesn't get used to its full potential, and I intend to remedy that injustice. I need a better fence than the board I have been clamping to the table.

Thinking about retrofitting the Laguna Drift Master. I see a few of you have them on 18" saws. Does anybody know if they are available in longer lengths? I hate Lagunas website, I can't find this info, without calling Tuesday, and I'm not patient! Are there better options?

I'm also going to buy a new carbide blade, but at 235" long, I want to get the best I can, the first time, any thoughts? I'm leaning to the Laguna there too.

John Thompson
02-17-2008, 12:20 AM
I don't think many will be able to answer your question about the longer fence as most won't be familar with your 36" saw. I have used a few 36" Tannewitz's, but have no clue what size the Oliver table is. You may have to wait and call on that one and eventually.. may have to build or improvise.

I use a "point" fence to re-saw and they are easy to build. But.. not for everyone as it takes some getting used to and good hand-eye co-ordination. As far as the blade goes.. I use the Lennox carbide and bi-metals and couldn't be more pleased after going through many brands over the years.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Steve Rozmiarek
02-17-2008, 12:51 AM
Evening Sarge. I'm expecting some serious fiddling to get any fence to fit this saw, but I'm just hoping for a fence expert I guess. I rigged up a point fence of sorts for this saw, which worked well for resawing, but I do like the idea of using it more for some of the rough milling operations, and I think I'll need easy adjustability. My rigged fence was pretty rudimentary. I have something like a tablesaw fence in mind, which would still allow me to use the whole 36" capacity if needed.

Thanks for the reminder about Lennox. I had completely forgotten about them. Have a good evening,

Bill Wyko
02-17-2008, 1:38 AM
You could always use an Inra Jig. I would think it would work great.

Alan Turner
02-17-2008, 4:18 AM
Bill,
I don't have information for you on a fence, but if you put on rails that extend far to the left, it could affect your ability to tilt the table. You'll need to think that through a bit.

We run a similar size blade on our 800 mm Zimmerman (19'-6"), and source them from Jesse at Eagle Tools, in Southern Calif. I have found he has excellent pricing on the Lennox Carbide. We run a 1", 2-3 tpi variable pitch, and they seem to last just about forever.

Rod Upfold
02-17-2008, 5:06 AM
you can ask your questions here...

http://tinyurl.com/2jpc6r

Rod

Steve Rozmiarek
02-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Bill,
I don't have information for you on a fence, but if you put on rails that extend far to the left, it could affect your ability to tilt the table. You'll need to think that through a bit.

We run a similar size blade on our 800 mm Zimmerman (19'-6"), and source them from Jesse at Eagle Tools, in Southern Calif. I have found he has excellent pricing on the Lennox Carbide. We run a 1", 2-3 tpi variable pitch, and they seem to last just about forever.

Alan, tilting the table is no that important on this saw. In a past life, it apparently got beat on, knocked over or something, and the tilting table mechanism took the abuse. It was fixed well, less the tilting table option. I have a smaller bandsaw that I can easily tip the table on.

I want to use this saw to resaw big stuff, and rip whatever needs it. Recently I got a nice stack of never used planks, the framing out of an old timber frame barn, and a stack of rough sawn air dried walnut and maple. I suppose all that will be partially milled on this saw.

Thanks for the lead on the blade, sounds like the one I use now, with carbide added. Kind of funny, we're talking about a blade that has 19'-6" of teeth, and a 10" tablesaw blade has about 2'-6".

Steve

Steve Rozmiarek
02-17-2008, 11:33 AM
You could always use an Inra Jig. I would think it would work great.

Not that familier with the Incra, Bill. Are you talking about the mechanism that adjusts off the center of a fence system? Kind of like a "T"?

Steve Rozmiarek
02-17-2008, 11:38 AM
you can ask your questions here...

http://tinyurl.com/2jpc6r

Rod

Great, now I won't get anything done today. Thanks Rod!:D

Jim Becker
02-17-2008, 4:05 PM
On the blade, I don't believe that the Laguna blade is a "true" carbide blade if you mean the Resaw-King. Verify that before you buy. Personally, I think that Lennox has a great product in that space in both the Trimaster as well as a new wood-cutting-specified version that's a little less money than the Trimaster.

John Fry
02-17-2008, 5:06 PM
Suffolk Machinery has just come out with a new carbide tipped resaw blade and I think I will try it next time. Plus, just like Laguna's Resaw King, (which I have been using for years), they will re-sharpen it.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/images/carbide_6.jpg

Timber Wolf Carbide Blade (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/1_carbide_blades.asp)

Steve Rozmiarek
03-05-2008, 11:34 PM
In case anyone is interested, I bought the Driftmaster for my saw, and just finished installing. Good looking fence, and I really want to try it out, but am waiting on switch parts...

The whole thing is built like a tank. A very finely adjustable tank. I'll post details of the test drive.